Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron starsense handset extension cable

wigggyy

Care with this because many of the accessory cables sold on (say) Amazon that have the 'right' plugs are incorrectly wired and will fry yoir circuitry. Three years ago I tried all the reliable UK astro-kit suppliers without success. It is not easy to ensure you get the right one unless you have it made up bespoke.

So instead, I bought a SkyPortal external WiFi accessory permitting remote control from a phone/tablet (Skyportal APP) or from PC/laptop (via CPWI). 

But it begs the question, why do you want a longer HC cable?

If your plan is to do (say) Astrophotography from (say) indoors most folk will start by solving scope control from a distance. Then, they generally find they need a different solution for camera. Then, another solution for focusser or guiding; then have power supply challenges. If attempting something like this, you are probably best served by looking at the holistic challenge, as there may be better solutions once you take a helicopter view of where you want to be. Most folk want fewer cables, not more. Lots of good ideas in the EAA Forum (EEVA)

Edited by noah4x4

Many thanks for your reply noah4x4 don't worry I wouldn't attach any old cable these things are expensive enough without burning them out for the sake of a few quid cable was just asking in case there was a specific one available will take a look at your other suggestions

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I made up my lead for the hand set and the celestron star sense a couple of months ago.

I found it better being a bit longer but still get in the way sometimes. (celestron 8se).

PM me if you are interested

dick

SAM_0893.JPG

SAM_0897.JPG

On 12/04/2019 at 16:37, noah4x4 said:

Care with this because many of the accessory cables sold on (say) Amazon that have the 'right' plugs are incorrectly wired and will fry yoir circuitry. Three years ago I tried all the reliable UK astro-kit suppliers without success. It is not easy to ensure you get the right one unless you have it made up bespoke.

So instead, I bought a SkyPortal external WiFi accessory permitting remote control from a phone/tablet (Skyportal APP) or from PC/laptop (via CPWI). 

But it begs the question, why do you want a longer HC cable?

)

Speaking for myself, I have three different Celestron mounts, and, when the hand set is in the supplied tripod mounted holder, the cable insulation starts to come out of the plugs over time as the coiled cables are not flexible enough to extend gently

results is that I have Velcro on each mount to attach the controller as I am not competent to make my own extension cables.