SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Pac-Man Moon 11-4-19

Fozzie

After missing out what appeared to be a wonderful clear, transparent night on Wednesday I made sure I wasn't going to miss out on last nights clear forecast.  I set up the Frac on the skyteeII, first time use with the Iroko Tripod and new Whittled EP tray.  The intent was just to test the set up with the Skytee, as normally  I've favoured ,and been spoilt with, a lovely tracking vixen GP mount, so I fancied a change to the simplicity of Alt-Az.

Targeting the moon for a short session I took in a number of terminator delights, I found the following areas particularly captivating

• Rima Ariadaeus
  • the finger of Albategnius as the the illuminated side projected into the dark of the crater basin
  • Montes Caucasus and the hint of structure to the Aristoteles crater Wall

However the one thing that really grabbed my attention, was the watching the moons apparent motion.  Assumingly as I was observing in non astro dark the non-illuminated disk, showed a lovely hint of earth shine, which allowed you to see opposite limb slowly encroaching the faintest of stars, until "pop" the moon passed in front, and the star disappeared out of view behind the non illuminated limb,  I counted 4 stars pop out last night before I headed in, it reminded me packman, hence the title, chasing little white orbs around the sky.

It should be clear here for tomorrow night, when the moon should pass close to the Beehive cluster, if last night was anything to go by, that should be a good show!

Clear Skys

Fozzie

• Like 7

Nice report. I missed reading this until now but by chance I did see the moon/m44 event. I was so absorbed in just seeing them together that looking out for occultations didn't occur to me at the time - doh!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Paz said:

I did see the moon/m44 event. I was so absorbed in just seeing them together that looking out for occultations didn't occur to me at the time - doh!

I was watching the Moon/M44 conjunction with a pair of 70mm bins, from the back garden.. watched until HIP 42542 was occulted.  I probably should of set the scope up, but it was quite relaxing, laying back on a chair with the bino's (on a stand) in front.  I have to say, for a £60 pair, the opticron Oregon 70x15 are a great buy, very pleasing image.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/04/2019 at 14:51, Fozzie said:

which allowed you to see opposite limb slowly encroaching the faintest of stars, until "pop" the moon passed in front, and the star disappeared

Great report, and I've  got to try that someday.

• Thanks 1