SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quite big sunspot in a while - now

Piero

thanks Stu, your image is great too mate. i think yesterday was my best imaging of this AR 

if you would like to check them out. this AR has been a great to image ive been lucky enough to catch it every day so far. wishing you clear mate. charl.

I've observed the spot in my Borg ever since it came out from the very limb. I happened to check out the sun disk website on my way from work and there it was. Weather obliged for a couple of days, so I clocked altogether 1 hr on that spot and what I found interesting was a trail of feculae following it, a pretty impressive and wide trail it is. Worth observing.

Edited by BGazing
  • Like 2

Nice sketches Nick! I just had about five minutes on it before the clouds moved in. First time I've seen it at highish power (about x100), lots of detail visible in there!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Great pictures Charl. I got up to about 150x this afternoon through Herschel wedge - some lovely views of what looks like a light bridge dividing the spot. Seeing getting mushy now, but nice to have some activity

Can confirm the light bridge, courtesy of SpaceWeather.com. Apparently quite a rare feature and could mean the imminent break up of the spot.....

lightbridge_strip.jpg.9153fc161f7593e3efa9432705811ec0.jpg

• Like 1

When I first saw it there appeared to be 2 spots close together. As it came round the sun it was like the image above. Could have been seeing conditions or the angle closer to the limb (or just my eyes!)

Has anybody managed to see it with no magnification? Maybe not big enough, my eyes aren’t that great.

Edited by bish

Just tried to have a look see but it's nearly blowing a gale here, had to try hang onto the scope to see AR2738 looks like it might be flaring a bit but no chance of imaging in this wind.

Dave

• Like 1