Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Piero

Quite big sunspot in a while - now

Thanks for the heads up, thats definitely worth a look this weekend......weather permitting!

• Like 1

Yep, caught it yesterday evening in my spotter scope. Looked pretty good even in that tiny aperture.

PSX_20190411_185525.jpg

• Like 4

this was it at 08.30 before i got clouded out, darn weather eh. charl.

19750716_AR273812-4-19.png.e3a979efa9778c026605b482bb11866c.png

• Like 9

Wow Charl, that's pretty impressive!!!

• Like 1

thanks Stu, your image is great too mate. i think yesterday was my best imaging of this AR 

if you would like to check them out. this AR has been a great to image ive been lucky enough to catch it every day so far. wishing you clear mate. charl.

Set up early and got something's good , Nick.IMG_6820.thumb.JPG.c6637259065066b6743954e8bf83524d.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

this was it at 08.30 before i got clouded out, darn weather eh. charl.

19750716_AR273812-4-19.png.e3a979efa9778c026605b482bb11866c.png

That's spectacular!🙀

• Like 2

thanks Piero, a lucky shot in a cloud struned sky thismorrning, its a nice AR to image the size makes it very forgiving. clear skys. charl.

Had some excellent seeing today. My 127 mak and WL filter teased out loads of detail

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've observed the spot in my Borg ever since it came out from the very limb. I happened to check out the sun disk website on my way from work and there it was. Weather obliged for a couple of days, so I clocked altogether 1 hr on that spot and what I found interesting was a trail of feculae following it, a pretty impressive and wide trail it is. Worth observing.

Edited by BGazing
  • Like 2

Caught through fleeting gaps in the cloud with my LS50DS - great detail in Ha! Oh to be able to fast fwd through this minimum!!

• Like 1

Nice sketches Nick! I just had about five minutes on it before the clouds moved in. First time I've seen it at highish power (about x100), lots of detail visible in there!

• Like 1

Glad you got a chance to snap it Charl, sunshine and showers here.

Dave

• Like 1

thanks Dave, theres a closer shot in the sol sec along with some shots of my new pressy. charl.

Great pictures Charl. I got up to about 150x this afternoon through Herschel wedge - some lovely views of what looks like a light bridge dividing the spot. Seeing getting mushy now, but nice to have some activity

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Great pictures Charl. I got up to about 150x this afternoon through Herschel wedge - some lovely views of what looks like a light bridge dividing the spot. Seeing getting mushy now, but nice to have some activity

Can confirm the light bridge, courtesy of SpaceWeather.com. Apparently quite a rare feature and could mean the imminent break up of the spot.....

lightbridge_strip.jpg.9153fc161f7593e3efa9432705811ec0.jpg

• Like 1

When I first saw it there appeared to be 2 spots close together. As it came round the sun it was like the image above. Could have been seeing conditions or the angle closer to the limb (or just my eyes!)

Has anybody managed to see it with no magnification? Maybe not big enough, my eyes aren’t that great.

Edited by bish

Got some surprising white light detail before clouds rolled in , Nick.

IMG_6825.thumb.JPG.cbde9f22e4d06bd86f27b4b824ccb2c2.JPG

• Like 3

Been set up all day here hoping for a clear bit, only just managed to find the AR and sort of focused.

Dave

Just tried to have a look see but it's nearly blowing a gale here, had to try hang onto the scope to see AR2738 looks like it might be flaring a bit but no chance of imaging in this wind.

Dave

• Like 1