SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M51 69 mins with an ASI 120

tomato

I’m still playing with an uncooled ASI120 on the Esprit 150,  this is 69 mins total integration on M51, 78 x 30s L, 10 x 60s each on RGB, calibrated and stacked in APP, processed in Startools and PS. Obviously very noisy and apologies for the heavy handed processing in an effort to put some colour in the image.

I am mightily impressed with what this guide camera can do, sure it’s on the end of a good photo collector, but the camera cost 1/20th of my KAF 8300 camera.

I am also realising how big a contribution the seeing makes to this close up imaging, this result is better than an effort from a previous session with double the integration time.

Thanks for looking.

7ED16C01-2035-4F52-BDC9-7BD0DB80C8AD.jpeg

I'm following your progress with great interest.  I've also been playing with my 120mc, and I have been very impressed with what it can do.  My problem is that I get fantastic results one night, and the next night it seems almost blind.  I am really struggling to understand all the settings.  I'm also struggling to get to grips with different acquisition software, as well as the different processing techniques.

It is certainly very versatile!

Tomato's camera will do mono16 Fits whereas mine just drops frames and will only do mono8. With mono16 it just drops frames continuously. We tried both cameras on the same laptop, Sharpcap 3.2 and the same usb lead. There must be differences between different vintages of ASI120 cameras I guess.

I think Tomato used mono8 fits for this image.

11 hours ago, don4l said:

I'm following your progress with great interest.  I've also been playing with my 120mc, and I have been very impressed with what it can do.  My problem is that I get fantastic results one night, and the next night it seems almost blind.  I am really struggling to understand all the settings.  I'm also struggling to get to grips with different acquisition software, as well as the different processing techniques.

It is certainly very versatile!

The previous session using 60s L and 120s RGB gave inferior results, I think due to the poorer seeing. Processing this data in APP is a challenge I think partly due to the lack of stars in the image for registration. The flats taken on this camera are nothing like what I am used to seeing on the 8300, they just look like white noise, the CCD ones are much smoother.

1 hour ago, Tomatobro said:

Tomato's camera will do mono16 Fits whereas mine just drops frames and will only do mono8. With mono16 it just drops frames continuously. We tried both cameras on the same laptop, Sharpcap 3.2 and the same usb lead. There must be differences between different vintages of ASI120 cameras I guess.

I think Tomato used mono8 fits for this image.

Yes, all mono8, but as you say, this camera is stable saving in mono16 mode. Trouble is, all my calibration frames are in mono8, and I was too tired to take them all before packing away, excuses, excuses....

13 hours ago, Kev M said:

Spectacular !

Thanks, the colour is OTT, and,  as with all my efforts, it needs more data.

I tried to combine some colour data from my first session with this set up, but APP was having none of it, so instead I have toned down the ‘direct hit on a paint factory’ colour but tried to retain the detail.

C1895410-DBA3-475A-A48F-7EAE8B294802.jpeg

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Cracking result!! For laughs, I tried to image M57 last year with my ASI120. Failed miserably! So I know you've done well to capture this!

Thanks David, I have to say this result has exceeded my expectations, I would like to get 4-5 hrs total integration on this target as the CMOS/CCD for galaxy imaging debate is now back on again, having previously decided that CCD was the way to go.

Archived