Narrowband

How much processing do you do before combining channels?

Grant

I've recently switched from a OSC to a mono camera. Previously I would do the calibration and integration and then process everything from then on as one image.

With mono, at what point do you combine? E.g. should I be doing any changes to each separate channel first? Background extraction etc..?

22 hours ago, spillage said:

Being an absolute novice at PI I just throw it all together first and then deal with each channel as needed.

That's how I was approaching in, but then I wandered if the background extraction would work better when done to each channel individually or, whether it made no difference.

I always keep L and RGB as separate channels until I've completed most of my linear processing (background removal, initial noise reduction, etc). I've tried to do background removal and normalisation for RGB as separate channels and as a combined channel and found it easier to do them separately though it does take longer. I found Warren's process flow in his book to be almost ideal. Some of the process steps can be done in different orders but the overall flow works well.