Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zwo Vs altair

Am I missing something here? The Altair comes with 4gb memory and a pelican case for the same price as the zwo with less memory and a padded pouch. I thought zwo were the budget option. 

Does anyone know if there are any benefits with either of these over the other one? 

Specs look the same from what I can see. Same sensor. The Altair has 4gb memory and the zwo has 256mb. I like buying from FLO because they're only a short bike ride away but if the Altair is the same camera with a few beneficial extras for the same price I'll go for that. But if there's a reason the zwo is a better option for a reason that I can't see I'll happily pop up to Flo for one. Big investment so wanna get the best bang for my buck

Hiya

Depends what you want to use it for, I think. I'd say the only advantage of having 4gb is if you plan to take full frame video? For still imaging I can't see the need. There may be differences with the electronics, amp glo suppression. Fwiw I have a qhy163m en route :) It's a little cheaper (£899) than the zwo at the moment but doesn't come with the set of adapters that zwo include and only has 128mb of ddr 2 memory.

Louise

ps what did you want the 183m for, specifically?

Edited by Thalestris24

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I read that the memory reduced amp glow. Maybe Altair have just upped their pricing game to compete with zwo. Seems a no brainer if they are basically the same but the Altair comes with the pelican case and extras memory. 

Well, a single full frame is about 40MB so the only reason to have GB is to buffer video. I think the amp glo is exposure dependent so wouldn't show up with video speed exposure lengths, afaik. At the end of the day, it's your preference. Maybe search for the Hypercam and see if there are any reviews and pics that might help. I got a really nice aluminium case with my ts 80mm apo but it's tucked away up in the loft now... I don't know if the Hypercam comes with a similar set of adapters supplied by zwo? On the other hand, you may not need any of them! 

Louise

2 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Am I missing something here? The Altair comes with 4gb memory

Four gigaBYTES of memory, or 4 gigaBITS (i.e. 512MByte)?

The Altair advertisement is not explicit and I doubt there would be any way for a user to tell. Personally I would like to see a photo of the circuit board to validate one or the other.

Edited by pete_l
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, pete_l said:

Four gigaBYTES of memory, or 4 gigaBITS (i.e. 512MByte)?

The Altair advertisement is not explicit and I doubt there would be any way for a user to tell. Personally I would like to see a photo of the circuit board to validate one or the other.

It's definitely 4 gigs bytes. It's got capital GB.  

Hi

What did you want it for, specifically? I've bought mine foe eaa/live stacking at short focal lengths - 200 to 384mm. The 183 has 2.4um pixels but lots of them! I'm intending to software bin/downsample which should increase the snr. The 1600 has 3.8um pixels but not such a high qe.

Louise

9 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

What did you want it for, specifically? I've bought mine foe eaa/live stacking at short focal lengths - 200 to 384mm. The 183 has 2.4um pixels but lots of them! I'm intending to software bin/downsample which should increase the snr. The 1600 has 3.8um pixels but not such a high qe.

Louise

Mainly for my ed80 at @500mm with the reducer but hoping to get something longer for smaller objects too. The 183 is ideal for the 80 but seems the 1600 is a little bit more flexible. With the price being so close now, closer than a few weeks ago it makes it a tighter race.

5 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

Louise

Just a question,  not questioning but does binning increase snr? 

And does this mean the QE is higher at the green end

IMX183.jpg

CMOS cameras can't do hardware binning in the way that CCDs can, That reduces the readout noise from a CCD.
But modern CMOS cameras have a much lower read out noise level, so there is an improvement from doing software binning with them.

And: yes.

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Don't forget the ZWO will attract tax and import duty, so not as cheap as it looks ?

As said, FLO sell them but it seems Altair have gone on a bit of a price war against zwo. Their 1600 mono is £100 cheaper and as with the 183 comes with more memory. Maybe zwo will have a sale coming up like last year. But not sure I can wait. 

As for import duty, that's a roll of the dice. I've bought a couple of dozen things from Ali express and only 2 got stung for duty and both were big box items. 

As @pete_l, I'm a bit baffled by the HUUUGE memory in the Altair. A 4GB memory buffer for a 20 Mpix camera just doesn't make sense. You could save a whole nights imaging data in that camera, and still have enough memory left for your vacation pics. Also, somewhere in the text they refer to the camera as the 1600M.

In fact, the Hypercam 1600M Mono excels in any application where higher senstivity, and better SNR performance than a DSLR is required.

Otoh, it isn't April 1 yet.

• Like 1