Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone fancy helping the Faulkes Telescope Project?

I've been doing some work with the Faulkes Telescope Project https://www.faulkes-telescope.com/ (getting schools to observe comet 46P).  I was chatting to the guys who run it last week and it seems FT have quite a large allocation of telescope time to use by the end of this semester (ends 31 May).  This includes access to 0.4m, 1m and 2m telescopes across the world http://www.faulkes-telescope.com/observing/the-telescopes/  We talked about what data it might useful to obtain for later use in analysis as part of school resources.  This is what they suggested:

as discussed, here's a few thoughts on the types of targets that it would be nice to get well-sampled datasets on the following ... those with asterisks are perhaps less crucial as we have some of them already ... but these are objects we could use some of our 'spare' time over the remainder of this semester (ends May 31).

* RR Lyrae

*Cepheid 

* Dwarf Cepheid (delta Scuti)

*Eclipsing binaries (EA, EB, EW types)

Mira, LPV, any other variable stars (FuOrs, R CrB, etc.)

They could do with being relatively clean and bright enough for the 0.4 metre (makes data collection more reliable plus it burns one quarter of the time a 2-metre observation would be), ideally easily photometrisable (so non-crowded field), shortish period if you wanted to observe the whole period in one go and with a reasonable decent modulation (say > 0.1 mags).

So, does anyone fancy getting involved?

The task would be to identify suitable targets and then use the telescopes to gather data over the next 6/7 weeks?  The data collection would be via a queue system where you just set up the observation parameters in advance (telescope size, filter, exposure, start/finish date/time, cadence) and let the system choose the best-placed scope to undertake the observations.  The data are run through an automated reduction process for flats/darks etc.  and you can then batch download https://archive.lco.global/?q=a&RLEVEL=&PROPID=&INSTRUME=&OBJECT=&SITEID=&TELID=&FILTER=&OBSTYPE=&EXPTIME=&BLKUID=&REQNUM=&basename=&start=2018-12-01 00%3A00&end=2019-05-31 23%3A59&id=&public=true  You will be free to use the data too.

If you happen to work with schools or other study groups that would be an added bonus, but it is not required.  Also, you can do as much or as little as you want..

Sound like fun??

Helen

I'd like to try and help a bit with this - would maybe need a little guidance as to what they most want out of the runs (in terms of data for use in schools, types of data they are most after etc?). 

There's so many objects that could be targeted - I guess it's getting the most useful stuff in the time available. Timing studies for eclipsing binaries? Time resolved photometry on any transients? Classification studies? Lots of southerly variables aren't as well studied as northern hemisphere objects.

Mira's are probably a bit too long in period I think?

Graeme

That great Graeme, thanks ? 

I'll ask for a bit more guidance on the ultimate use, and pointers/examples of what they've done before.  While there is significant surplus allocation at the moment to use, this doesn't have to be just a short term project as there will still be time available in future.  So longer period Miras could still be started now and finished later as appropriate.

In the meantime I'll PM you details of how to log in to FT so you can experiment a bit! ?

Thanks

Helen

Hey :)

Believe I still have access to Faulkes, will happily queue up some observations :D take me back a few years.

Hope all at FT are doing well :) Looking forward to seeing you and Paul on Thurs.

33 minutes ago, SimonS said:

Hey :)

Believe I still have access to Faulkes, will happily queue up some observations :D take me back a few years.

Hope all at FT are doing well :) Looking forward to seeing you and Paul on Thurs.

Hi Simon :hello:

I've just emailed Paul, Fraser and Sarah, for a few more details of what they plan to do with the data so that appropriate targets/runs can be researched and queued.  If you could do some that would be great ?   There's a lot of FT time left!  

I'll post back up with further info once I have it.

We can also talk around it on Thursday - perhaps we can Jason involved too ? 

Looking forward to catching up ? 

Helen

Archived