Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Grant

New Challenge Ideas Needed!

51 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

+ Film!

Still got Pentax camera and all the developing  gear in the loft, wonder if the chemicals have gone off :D

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Terrestrial/Celestial Suns, Solar images shot with just a camera, no external filters but stacking, time lapse, animations and other alterations are allowed like compositions, inverts and the like. Extra points for capturing atmospheric solar phenomena and since earth is actually an astronomical object and a celestial body, this type of challenge would/should be right up the stargazers alley.

Some of you would call these images sunsets or terrestrial, but the sun does not set does it? Ones location on earth simply rotates away from it, the separation of celestial and terrestrial, a thin invisible line drawn precariously through our intellects 😉

Edited by SIDO

19 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Narrowband DSLR - a challenging challenge!

I'll second that....

On 11/04/2019 at 01:40, HunterHarling said:

-Nikon vs Canon vs Sony

Being a DSLR imager.... I'd love to see a head to head comp with the DSLRs heavyweights in the ring.

• Like 1

How about 'Taken from the photographers own house or garden'?

I like the idea of the one above. How about adding an extra dimension. Just what you captured! No stacking or computers allowed. Just the single original image. Might be a leveller for us, might not be spectacular, but those of us without a server in the basement might actually want to enter future challenges.

I entered my first shortly after joining SGL  (Lunar terminator ep pic) and quickly realised that the challenges were purely photographic and I had neither the kit nor the photoshop know how, let alone the program to get even close.

Sorry Grant, but I will not enter another as I know I am under gunned as at present I am a visual astronomer and I have seen what it takes to get a mug. They all deserved them by the way, terrific entries.

Marv

On 19/11/2019 at 11:55, JOC said:

How about 'Taken from the photographers own house or garden'?

That's a fab idea.  :) @Grant

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beulah said:

That's a fab idea.  :) @Grant

As a leveller the persons own back yard might Snowdonia and yours inner London, hardly a level playing field. I know there is no such thing, but I feel that software for the beginner is exclusive not inclusive.

Well note that I didn't state what the image has to be of, there is scope for a scenic image if light pollution is your enemy, also the use of software or not.  The type of image is not specified only that it has to be from within your own house or backyard.  There is also scope for stating where the image was taken from location wise and for the judges to take this into account.

Edited by JOC

JOC. I get your message entirely, well said. Perhaps I was too strong in my opinions and voicing them. If so my apologies.

In a more measured way I was trying to say that the challenges can sometimes seem like an arms race. And if an SGL’r doesn’t have a bunch of post processing software and the knowledge to use it, it can seem pointless to enter the challenges.

After reading my post I want to apologise to Grant. You seem to have enough on your plate without someone (me) deciding on a unilateral boycott. I have looked through the mirror the other way and decided to enter any future challenge if I can meet the criteria. It was pointed out to me that perhaps that is how the winners got their mugs. Yeh.... my wife was right. “Stop moaning and do something about it”

M

What about something involving landscapes, or creative/artistic takes on well known objects? We've seen some saturated lunar shots and inverted/dark planets recently.

1)   Science or ART ??      .....  An astronomically 'standard'  picture taken from a new perspective or processed in a way to suggest hidden meaning or a greater artistic depth.

2)  Astro - bloopers   .........        unintentional hilarity  whilst pursuing this most noble of pastimes.     This can be scheduled for April 1st or Comic relief night .