Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky & Telescope

NGC 1502

Hi everyone.   Recent reports suggested that Sky & Telescope magazine was in financial trouble.

However I’m pleased to report that this morning I spotted a stack of the April edition in WHS Southend.  At £3.70 a copy it’s similar in price to a copy of my subscription editions of Astronomy Now, so I couldn’t resist buying. Sadly there’s mention that renowned visual observer Sue French will be retiring from her regular column. She will be missed.

Looking at the vast array of magazines on view in WHS it would seem that traditional print is still very popular.

Let’s  hope that the iconic S&T magazine has found a way out of its difficulties and will be around for many years.

Ed.

I received the email below a few weeks ago, which suggests they’ve been through the worst. Not had the latest issue yet but it does seem to be a little erratic.

very sad news about Sue’s retirement (for us - probably great for her!). She’s such an amazing ambassador for visual deep sky enthusiasts and this amazing hobby more widely.

Paul

Email extract: 

To Our Valued Customer,

Over the years, F+W Media, Inc. and its affiliated companies ("F+W Media") have strived to provide inspiration, instruction, and exclusive products and services through its various magazines, online education, print and digital books, subscription video sites, consumer and trade events, and online stores. Many things have changed over the years, but one will always remain the same: our commitment to you, our customer, in making sure that you have access to the latest content of our craft, art, writing, design, knitting, quilting, and outdoor enthusiast communities.

We recently announced a plan to strengthen F+W Media through a financial restructuring. This plan is designed to guarantee that there will be no change in the services and content that our customers expect from F+W Media. 

In order to avoid any confusion or inaccuracy, I am writing to you personally to share two things that we want all customers to know:
  • We are open for business. Customers can continue to subscribe to our magazines and shop across our online stores without disruption.
  • All orders will arrive on time as promised.

The financial restructuring will be done through a court-supervised process. On March 10, 2019, we began that process by voluntarily filing reorganization cases under chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code in the District of Delaware. Operations will continue as usual throughout the court-supervised process, including meeting and exceeding the needs of our valued customers.

We have asked for, and the court has approved, our ability to keep serving you in the same way we have in the past. At F+W Media, we are honored to offer products that provide inspiration in the daily lives of our customers and we want to thank you for being a part of our enthusiast communities. If you have specific questions with respect to our Chapter 11 reorganization please contact us here.  

Gregory J. Osberg,
Chief Executive Officer

Archived