Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to process bloat/halos?

Hi there, just wondering if there is a good way of processing images to help with star bloat or halos, not sure which it is in the below 2 images. Is it just something I just put up with, using DSLR (7D Mk1) and 400mm Canon lens. 

Any pointers to processes etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy.

P.S I know the processing, colour in Orion is way off :D...just an example.

Orion1.jpg

Pleiades.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I use Aip4win to do almost all my processing but , like Dave stated there are multi ways to reduce your star size or remove halos . Astronomy tools is a plug-in for Ps that is dedicated to astrophotography and I highly recommend it for any astro -photographer. 

• Like 1

In the case of big bad bloaters this is good in Photoshop:

Make one copy layer.

Use feathered eraser of the right size to remove in one click the bloater and its halo from the top layer. You won't see anything happen because the copy layer is underneath.

Bottom layer active, both layers visible. Open curves. Pin the curve at the level of the background or nebulosity just outside the halo. Put a fixing point or two below that. Pull the curve down just above the original 'background' point.

Olly

• Like 2