Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Picture of black hole...

david_taurus83

Apparently the Event Horizon Telescope project are holding a press conference on Wednesday the 10th of April with their first results. They have been trying to capture an image of Sagittarius A black hole I believe, specifically the region around it as it doesn't emit light itself obviously. Hopefully a significant breakthrough.

https://eventhorizontelescope.org/blog/media-advisory-first-results-event-horizon-telescope-be-presented-april-10th

Mods: Apologies if this should be in the imaging section!

• Like 2

Just saw this and will be following with interest.

'Lead EHT Scientist:- So we have made a great discovery.  Here is a picture of what we have found.  A big piece of ........ nothing'  and next week we will discover 'purest green' ?

• Haha 2

Just now, Knight of Clear Skies said:

As a warm up, here's a wider view (about one-by-two degrees) of the Sgr A* area from the MeerKAT telescope.

spacer.png

Taken from here, where there is also a good write-up of what's in view. Sgr A* is the bright source just right of centre, there are also molecular clouds, SNRs and mysterious filaments in view.

I first saw this image at Jodrell Bank last summer when I went to a talk at Bluedot. I think it had only just been released. Amazing image and the lines were very interesting. Possibly caused by magnetism, maybe!

56 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

It's clear here tonight. I'm going to image it with my 71mm frac!

Joking aside, the M87 jet probably is resolvable with a small scope and small-pixel camera like the 1600MM-Cool. So while we can't image the black hole itself we can confirm its existence, I'd like to know how the EHT image aligns with the jet. If I get a chance over Easter I'll probably have a go at it, I believe fairly short exposures are required to stop it getting lost in the core.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies

32 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

that's the accretion disk around M87

I am now confused. I thought this was the electromagnetic (r.f.) radiation emanating from the event horizon around the black hole at the centre of M87 and that M87 itself was a supergiant eliptical galaxy.

Have I got it all wrong?

6 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I thought this was the electromagnetic (r.f.) radiation emanating from the event horizon around the black hole at the centre of M87 and that M87 itself was a supergiant eliptical galaxy.

It's the M87 black hole rather than the one in our galaxy (the OP references Sgr A*), which the EHT is also imaging. The source of the em radiation is the accretion disc around the black hole, hope that clears things up.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

It's the M87 black hole rather than the one in our galaxy (the OP references Sgr A*), which the EHT is also imaging. The source of the em radiation is the accretion disc around the black hole, hope that clears things up.

I don't know about you, but I cringe a little everytime I read a headline stating that it's an image of a black hole. I'm afraid it's just confusing the issue for some people.

Ah, I knew they were looking at both but expected our own. The news clippings I was receiving yesterday hinted at the Milky Way centre. I didn't post any as they had too many artistic impressions (Sky News etc) so I posted the link to the EHT website. Still pretty impressive what's been achieved. The makers of Interstellar weren't far off! I think they used a supercomputer to come up with how it may look.

457693-interstellar-black-hole.jpg

3 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

weve got to wait for the image of our own BH i think .

I think you're right. There was a lot of confusion over this as people were expecting to see Sgr A*, which has a larger apparent size. However, it's also a lot dimmer than the core of M87, so probably harder to image despite being much closer.

Has anyone said when the image of Sgr A* is expected?