Narrowband

GPS rollover date bug found

noah4x4

Celestron has announced firmware updates for both Nexstar and Nexstar + HC's that will resolve the 'GPS Rollover Bug'.  These are available within TeamCelestron, where final beta testing is being concluded before final public  release.

I've installed the firm for my nexstar non plus hand control and had a little of time for checking whether the fix solved the date issue and, I am happy to report, it does. I still need to properly use the scope but, as far as I can see, everything works as usual. Excellent job Celestron! ?

NV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/04/2019 at 07:20, NenoVento said:

I've installed the firm for my nexstar non plus hand control and had a little of time for checking whether the fix solved the date issue and, I am happy to report, it does. I still need to properly use the scope but, as far as I can see, everything works as usual. Excellent job Celestron! ?

NV

Thanks

Edited by MarsG76

A quick update: 

Last night, before the clouds came over, The fix for the GPS kept working, I managed to make a succesfull 3 star alignment and had enough time to goto to Arcturus and M3 using both the HC (non plus) and CdC and, later, did the same with the focal reducer and my RT IMX224 camera, everything worked as ussual. Pity I couldn't pursue with an EEVA night, with so many galaxies at my reach, but, well, clouds happen... I'll try with the wedge for EQ aligment as soon as I can.

NV

• Thanks 1

I just attempted to update my Celestron CPC1100 (running firmware version NSX 4.12), and it successfully re-installed that version on to the hand-control, but there does not yet appear to be an update that corrects the GPS problem.

There are later versions of the firmware that I can download from the web, but the newest one that shows up is version 4.21, and according to the data, it's from February 2012.

Unless I mis-read the posts, a couple of you seem to have successfully updated your H/C's with the GPS fix... if so, where did you find the updated firmware?

On 25/04/2019 at 07:20, NenoVento said:

NV

Do you know if any of these updates will work with the CGEM?

On 24/04/2019 at 06:14, CP30 said:

Hi,

I just noticed that team celestron have two GPS updates for the nexstar HC V99.22 and nexstar+ 5.31.9102 with GPS fix.

Hope it might help someone.

23 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Do you know what Handset you have with the CGEM? is it a Nexstar or Nexstar+

Looking at CFM in the following location http://software.celestron.com/updates/CFM/CFM/ There is a Version PDF file that has the Nextstar+ GPS fix http://software.celestron.com/updates/CFM/CFM/Firmware_Revision_History.pdf (I cannot see the Nexstar Handset listed in the PDF)

Looking on the Teamcelestron beta site I can see that the Nexstar Handset has a fix available to download, you can join for free but have to wait for an admin to authorise you to be able to read and download the Nexremote beta fixes.

You can request to join TeamCelestron here http://www.teamcelestron.com/ucp.php?mode=register

I hope this may help.

Craig

15 hours ago, CP30 said:

Do you know what Handset you have with the CGEM? is it a Nexstar or Nexstar+

Looking at CFM in the following location http://software.celestron.com/updates/CFM/CFM/ There is a Version PDF file that has the Nextstar+ GPS fix http://software.celestron.com/updates/CFM/CFM/Firmware_Revision_History.pdf (I cannot see the Nexstar Handset listed in the PDF)

Looking on the Teamcelestron beta site I can see that the Nexstar Handset has a fix available to download, you can join for free but have to wait for an admin to authorise you to be able to read and download the Nexremote beta fixes.

You can request to join TeamCelestron here http://www.teamcelestron.com/ucp.php?mode=register

I hope this may help.

Craig

Thanks for he reply Craig,

My hand controller is the non-plus version 4.21 (currently), bought in 2010.

I am already a member of TeamCelestron and have the BINS, but the three files are named as CGE, NXS and SLT... CGEpro, NexStar and SLT??? No GEM, which is the bin label used in the past for CGEM firmware updates.

Am I mistaken thinking that CGE bin file only works on CGE Pro and won't work with the CGEM?

Perhaps I can just wait for the official v4 firmware update.

Thank you,

Mariusz

Edited by MarsG76

Hi Mariusz, I installed the NXS on my CPC because that was also the name of the previous version I had installed. You can see it when running the HCupdate program. Anyhow, to be sure, I'd ask Derik (TeamCelestron firmware engineer) your question.

NV

Edited by NenoVento
  • Thanks 1

TLDR

We are already in the third GPS Epoch, so this already happened once but there was almost no civil GPS devices.

The European GPS system doesn't suffer from this limitation; or at least the epoch is much bigger. They foreseen this when designed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news!

I haven't updated my CPC1100 hand-controller yet, but I've been checking every single day, and just a few moments ago, I noticed that Celestron released the NXS 4.22 h/c firmware update!!

Looks like many of us are back in business!!

• Like 1

The update is complete... and other than a momentary coronary after seeing my time was off by several hours (scrolling through the menus revealed that the new firmware had reverted my unit's time zone back to PST... which I've now fixed), the date on my CPC1100 controller now reads... 05/21/19!

Heck yeah!!

42 minutes ago, Jonathan Sabin said:

The update is complete... and other than a momentary coronary after seeing my time was off by several hours (scrolling through the menus revealed that the new firmware had reverted my unit's time zone back to PST... which I've now fixed), the date on my CPC1100 controller now reads... 05/21/19!

Heck yeah!!

AWESOMES... SkySync shall be back in business.....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/05/2019 at 01:27, Jonathan Sabin said:

Heck yeah!!

Hi,

i have an old C11 GPS HC firmware NXS4.12 and MC4.06.

Last year i tried updating, couldn't get it to communicate with my laptop, so i did't bother since i was planning to defork the tube, last week i decided to mount it back on the fork, only to find out about the problem.

There's a topic on CN about this, so i'm up to speed with everything, but as long as  can't get the firmware updated, that doesn't do me no good.

Could you tell me something more about your PC, there has to be a reason it wont connect with mine.

Thanks

IMG_7772.thumb.JPG.aec0927b395c728517cad93fa6a63590.JPG

IMG_7827.thumb.JPG.e42a439b15119fbef27ec458ae20ba23.JPG

Hi Miguel,

I guess the question is... did your hand controller not "talk" to your PC when you attempted to make the update?

Or when you did it, did it simply overwrite your existing firmware.

Looking at the photo you provided of your hand-controller, you have version 4.12... which was the most recent update that was available PRIOR to the recent GPS fix. (version 4.22)

If like you said, you attempted this last year, version 4.22 wasn't available then, so you either updated to 4.12 from an even older version, or it simply overwrote the firmware you already had.

BTW... my computer is an HP PC desktop that I've had for 10 years. In fact, it's so out-of-date that I was thinking of replacing it in the next few days to take advantage of Florida's "back-to-school tax free weekend!"

For step-by-step instructions on how to do the firmware update, there are two resources that I used that were quite helpful.

The first is a text-only description of the procedure
https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToVersion4.htm

and the second link is a Youtube video I found very instructive....

Good luck!