SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 4503 and Zwicky's triplet-ARP 175

elpajare

NGC 4503 is a 10th magnitude Spiral Galaxy appearing in the constellation Virgo. It is 38 million light years from our solar system.

IC 3470 is a 14th magnitude Elliptical Galaxy appearing in the constellation Virgo. It is 52 million light years from our solar system.

ARP 175 / IC 3481-A: Zwicky's Triplet is a 13-14th magnitude Elliptical Galaxy appearing in the constellation Virgo. It is 350 million light years from our solar system.

Zwicky's Triplet appears roughly 0.9 x 0.8 arcminutes in size, corresponding to a physical diameter of 88309 light years. It is an elliptical galaxy of morphological type E-S0, and is receding at 7288 kilometers per second - about 2.4% of light speed.

TSO RC 8"+ Risingcam IMX294

10x25" DFC+Startools

NGC 4503 +IC 3481 Zwicky's GX VIRGO 10X25 RC8+IMX294.jpg

Edited by elpajare
  • Like 10

Hi, Nice to see the wider context for Arp 175, which I visited earlier this year. I offer my shot of Arp 175, which if doing again would be better,
after all that I have learnt in the last fortnight or so. My shot is upside down compared to yours. Next time I would hope to pick up the narrow counter tail.

Mike

ARP_175_IC.3481_2019.3.8_02_07_44.thumb.png.90d0c559f64df6c5d85922044487b423.png

Edited by Mike JW
additional comment
  • Like 1

Thanks, Mike

The intention was to photograph and observe the galaxy NGC 4503 following my plan to visit all objects of magnitude less than or equal to 12 of the northern hemisphere.

When this project ends I will ask you for advice to start with weaker things. Zwicky snuck around a corner ...by chance

Hi, I should have commented on 4503 as well - I am a bit focused on Arps. I have just looked up my big dob records for Virgo. I last looked at in May 2015 and as usual saw a central core and a bit of grey fuzz surrounding it. Now I know what it really looks like. I think it is a wonderful project to visit all the mag 12 and brighter objects. I did the same with the Dob but never completed it due to lack of clear nights and time. Good luck with your tour.

Mike

• Like 1