Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone used RPi & Arduino with INDIDUINO for astro?

Gina

I had a very wuick look at some of the indiduino meteostation code on github. Since I'm not a frequent programmer, it would take me quite some effort to rewrite the code. But I think that it should be possible. I wonder if it might be enough to rewrite the arduino code, and leave the indi driver as is.

I haven't looked at the MBox driver yet.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea but may not be necessary as I've had a reply to my post in the INDIlib forum reporting success with MeteoStation so I shall be trying it.  Also got some additional information.

Just to add something - How about using something like a Wemos D1 hooked up to whatever sensors and providing data on cyclic basis using UDP (as its the fastest net protocol-no error control) - perhaps even a number of sensors (so Humidity,temp) off the one Wemos. Then just gather the info using Node-red and Node-red Dashboard to produce a "pretty" GUI weather station.

The advantage being they (e.g. wemos D1)  can sleep between cycles and so save power - which in turn means they could be powered by small 5v power blocks. Using Node-red/Node-red-dashboard would speed up development and it runs on a RPI3

Then you would only need to concentrate on Obsys Dome control/Indi interface.

Just a thought.

Uses an ESP8266 MCU. These are easy to program using the Arduino IDE or Eclipse. I started a project using an ESP8266 to build a wifi remote control for the Duet. Like many projects of mine it got started and not finished :o

I've done lots with the Arduino IDE so that's no problem.  There have often been times in the past when a reduced Arduino would have been fine.  I'm now thinking clocks where the clock gear train is driven by a stepper motor.  A WiFi connection would be great for setting the clock.  Particularly the dreaded hour change in spring and autumn.

Here is a complete item - Wemos d1 plus weather in Node-red dashboard https://github.com/ldab/Node-RED-weather-dashboard just to get you started - only it uses MQTT which is great for IOT but not as fast as UDP. FYI Wemos d1 is 3.3v same as RPI unlike 5v Arduino.

If it helps the attached INO worked ok on the Wemos using DHT22 and UDP wifi. And has the sleep coding to save battery power if required

gin.txt

Archived