Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Looking for opinions on choice of binocular.

I have currently recently started to view the moon and stars from my urban back yard using binoculars.

I am looking to upgrade and think I have currently narrowed my choice down to Orion Mini Giant 15x63, or Opticron Oregon 20x80.

Have any members used one of the other, or both?

I don't mind using a tripod.

My first post on this site.

The Orion "Made in Japan" binoculars are very nice.  I think they're selling out old stock since no one else has them.  These should be at the limit of braced handholdability.

The Opticron will definitely require a tripod.

I use a pair of Galileo 15x70s in this range.  They are pretty similar to the Celestron 15x70 SkyMaster.  For $65 shipped in the US, they'd be hard to beat.  I don't know what they cost in the UK.

I reviewed the Oregon 20x80 for S@N last year. You can access it, and my other binocular reviews, here.