Narrowband

Upgrading telescope or buying a new one?

17 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

True… but I didn't want to make assumptions about the OP's budget. They said £80 - the 130p is 170% more expensive than that. Might not be an issue, or might be. Could have taken a month to save that £80, or two years, not for us to say. Even I've gone smashing over budget with my suggestion haha!

Having had both I actually prefer the 100p over the 130p anyway! Found it easier to set up, didn't get on with the focusser, but most of all, my poor old back struggled to find a chair/stool/table combo that was comfortable. But yeah, heck of a scope.

Great point and I bow to your knowledge? I've never owned the 130P, just would have liked one, as a point though I'm on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales and guess which of my three scopes is with me, yep the 100P, took up no room in the car with all the family gear, just love it and you get great views at a great price

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 14:34, Interstellar_Explorer said:

Hey There! Instead of buying a new telescope i'm thinking that it's better to just upgrade the one i already have! The upgrades which i already have in cart are: 32mm Plossl eyepiece, 5X barlow lens and a datyson 32mm moon filter! Is there anything else i should add or change? Thank You!

(Btw sorry for not mentioning it earlier, i have a national geographic 50/600 telescope)

I don't think it's much use upgrading this telescope or buying a 80£ telescope. There are some telescopes available but imho they are still rather small and you will outgrow them quickly. You'll want something better within a few observation sessions. You are much better of saving a bit longer until you can afford something like a 100mm refractor or a 6inch dobson. Both can be found for around 250€ which is a lot more than your 80£, but from a dark spot, you'll be amazed what you can see with them. Of course, there is always a secondhand market and sometimes you can find decent telescopes for not much money.
If you really want to spend your money I would suggest a 7x50 or a 10x50 binocular. It's literraly 2 50mm telescopes bolted together in a small easy to use package. I have a Nikon 7x50 A211 which can be found for under 100€.

On 19/04/2019 at 14:12, Wouter1981 said:

I don't think it's much use upgrading this telescope or buying a 80£ telescope. There are some telescopes available but imho they are still rather small and you will outgrow them quickly. You'll want something better within a few observation sessions. You are much better of saving a bit longer until you can afford something like a 100mm refractor or a 6inch dobson. Both can be found for around 250€ which is a lot more than your 80£, but from a dark spot, you'll be amazed what you can see with them. Of course, there is always a secondhand market and sometimes you can find decent telescopes for not much money.
If you really want to spend your money I would suggest a 7x50 or a 10x50 binocular. It's literraly 2 50mm telescopes bolted together in a small easy to use package. I have a Nikon 7x50 A211 which can be found for under 100€.

OK thanks!