Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

S.B.I.G. MODEL ST-7 Questions?

tich

Good morning folks I were given an S.B.I.G MODEL ST-7 mono camera  http://www.company7.com/sbig/products/st7.html  a couple of years ago & I were wondering if there are any adapters or adaptions that could be made to it to run a USB cable?
The camera itself is in very good condition although it uses ribbon leads to connect up to the computer so either an old desktop is needed to run it or preferably some way of converting it to USB if it's worth it of course due to its age.
Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Cheers Ton'y to be honest I've no idea if it would work as I know they make some adapters which don't work or do anything like Firewire to USB adapters for instance.
Has anyone else tried converting an older CCD? Or do people think it's just to old & it's not worth the hassle?
Some more feedback would be appreciated cheers

I think unless you can find an old laptop with a parallel connector and the right Windows ver. , I think you are on a losing wicket.

Morgan Computers may have one in the bowels of their warehouse propping open a door, bur unlikely.

This might be close to what you want:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Parallel-Printer-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000ZLRGKG

But I'm thinking it will be a fight all the way to get it working again, especially if the latest drivers available for the camera are win95.  There is a suggestion in the INDI source that it may still work on Linux/MacOS however.

James

6 hours ago, tich said:

Cheers Ton'y to be honest I've no idea if it would work as I know they make some adapters which don't work or do anything like Firewire to USB adapters for instance.
Has anyone else tried converting an older CCD? Or do people think it's just to old & it's not worth the hassle?
Some more feedback would be appreciated cheers

My instincts tell me that it probably isn't worth the hassle.

I found an adapter on Amazon, but on close reading it didn't support windows 10.

You can probably get it to work, but there won't be any guarantees, and each attempt will cost some time and money.  People have all sorts of aggro with serial converters.  I cannot believe that parallen converters would be any simpler.

It does sound like it could be a bit of hassle to get to work & adapters can be very temperamental at best, as the camera hasn't cost me anything anyway at least I've got a pretty decent flight case. I guess the only other way would be contact the company themselves but even if it could be converted would it be worth it & at what cost. I suppose I could dig out an old PC that runs win 95/98 from somewhere but then there's all the hassle with that to contend with. I just thought I'd throw it out there & see what if anyone has managed to convert one but I'm guessing this is not possible.
Thanks for the input

You could try a wanted advert for a Starlightexpress USB2 converter as they stopped making them years ago. I assume ( Possibly incorrectly ) that they would work with an SBIG.

Worth asking anyway ?

Dave.

Archived