Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just purchased my second scope!

Hello all!

I have been using my Skywatcher 8” Dobsonian for some time now, and decided I wanted a good refractor with an EQ mount as my next scope. I chose the Skywatcher Evostar Pro 80mm with an LX70 EQ5 mount. This seems to be a great scope to compliment my Dob, but I'm still getting used to the EQ mount! Found some good Youtube videos and am hoping for a clear night soon to really give it a workout! Any advice is appreciated!

D470CF16-DDD7-4C38-8EC8-44A6C01308B1.thumb.jpeg.c61e7d4a5d5853106c1bcf23a0e54925.jpeg

Nice looking setup Greg. Are you just using it for visual? If so then setting up the EQ mount does not need to be done super accurately, just level, point it north and set the altitude to your latitude and it should work fine.

Adding a tracking motor (if you don't have one already) will stop you having to turn the slow motion control knob all the time to keep the target centred. A dual axis kit is even better 

20 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

I wanted a good refractor with an EQ mount as my next scope.

Would be interesting to know the decisions behind the purchase of the new scope - in particular the EQ mount, though it's great to experience the changes a new scope brings!

16 minutes ago, bobro said:

Would be interesting to know the decisions behind the purchase of the new scope - in particular the EQ mount, though it's great to experience the changes a new scope brings!

I bought the dob to learn the fundamentals of amateur astronomy. I have loved the views with it, but now want to learn the refractor/EQ mount system. I don't do photography (yet!) and felt the 80mm was a good choice. I actually find the EQ easier to track objects with!

That is a handsome little setup Greg. You will enjoy using the new addition to your observing arsenal, and perhaps even some photography too, although an RA motor would be a big asset if you do take that route. Get all the enjoyment you can out of both of your telescopes, before that dreaded affliction called aperture fever starts to affect you ?.

Best Wishes 

Ron.

10 minutes ago, Greg6498 said:

I don't do photography (yet!) and felt the 80mm was a good choice.

Well, if you move over to imaging, the setup you already have is a great starting point!

12 minutes ago, Greg6498 said:

I actually find the EQ easier to track objects with!

Absolutely! You only need the polar axis to roughly point to the pole star and then most tracking can be done by turning just one knob. And when your object has drifted out of the field you almost always find it back easily by turning that same knob.

For photographic work you need a more precise polar alignment. I don't do astrophotography, but if I did I'd probably want a tool as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfEOVy0tBHI

Looking very nice Greg, learning celestial motion through an equatorial mount is the quickest way to understanding it, good to see you are on the right "Track" and are enjoying the new setup ?

3 hours ago, bobro said:

Would had gone for an EQ5 mount with SynScan Controller, especially if planning on venturing into AP, as current mount does not track

I have a ED80 on a EQ5 mount, and recently got the WiFi adapter 

Attached pic shows my ED80 with solar filter, taken at a recent club solar viewing day

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Archived