Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hello all!

I have been using my Skywatcher 8” Dobsonian for some time now, and decided I wanted a good refractor with an EQ mount as my next scope. I chose the Skywatcher Evostar Pro 80mm with an LX70 EQ5 mount. This seems to be a great scope to compliment my Dob, but I'm still getting used to the EQ mount! Found some good Youtube videos and am hoping for a clear night soon to really give it a workout! Any advice is appreciated!

D470CF16-DDD7-4C38-8EC8-44A6C01308B1.thumb.jpeg.c61e7d4a5d5853106c1bcf23a0e54925.jpeg

• Like 10

Nice looking setup Greg. Are you just using it for visual? If so then setting up the EQ mount does not need to be done super accurately, just level, point it north and set the altitude to your latitude and it should work fine.

Adding a tracking motor (if you don't have one already) will stop you having to turn the slow motion control knob all the time to keep the target centred. A dual axis kit is even better 

• Like 1

Hi Greg, congratulations, that's a handsome telescope!

• Like 1

It looks so great I can almost smell it... Hope you enjoy your new purchase

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

I wanted a good refractor with an EQ mount as my next scope.

Would be interesting to know the decisions behind the purchase of the new scope - in particular the EQ mount, though it's great to experience the changes a new scope brings!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, bobro said:

Would be interesting to know the decisions behind the purchase of the new scope - in particular the EQ mount, though it's great to experience the changes a new scope brings!

I bought the dob to learn the fundamentals of amateur astronomy. I have loved the views with it, but now want to learn the refractor/EQ mount system. I don't do photography (yet!) and felt the 80mm was a good choice. I actually find the EQ easier to track objects with!

Edited by Greg6498
  • Like 1

That is a handsome little setup Greg. You will enjoy using the new addition to your observing arsenal, and perhaps even some photography too, although an RA motor would be a big asset if you do take that route. Get all the enjoyment you can out of both of your telescopes, before that dreaded affliction called aperture fever starts to affect you ?.

Best Wishes 

Ron.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greg6498 said:

I don't do photography (yet!) and felt the 80mm was a good choice.

Well, if you move over to imaging, the setup you already have is a great starting point!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greg6498 said:

I actually find the EQ easier to track objects with!

Absolutely! You only need the polar axis to roughly point to the pole star and then most tracking can be done by turning just one knob. And when your object has drifted out of the field you almost always find it back easily by turning that same knob.

For photographic work you need a more precise polar alignment. I don't do astrophotography, but if I did I'd probably want a tool as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfEOVy0tBHI

• Like 1

Looking very nice Greg, learning celestial motion through an equatorial mount is the quickest way to understanding it, good to see you are on the right "Track" and are enjoying the new setup ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobro said:

Would had gone for an EQ5 mount with SynScan Controller, especially if planning on venturing into AP, as current mount does not track

I have a ED80 on a EQ5 mount, and recently got the WiFi adapter 

Attached pic shows my ED80 with solar filter, taken at a recent club solar viewing day

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

• Like 1

Nice set up. As mentioned before I would also get a RA motor.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Very nice. I too recommend you to get at least an RA motor, so you'll get the full benefit of an eq mount! ( Look mum!, no hands!! )??

Edited by R26 oldtimer
spelling
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tomcamish
      Hi All, 
      I've had a reflector telescope for years but never really used it (this one) . I've recently dusted it off and decided to try my hand at astrophotography. 
      I was really pleased with myself when I successfully pointed the telescope at Saturn and could make out the planet and rings (it looked like one big white ring but a good start). Once I'd nailed getting the planet in view I decided to hook up my Canon EOS 600D.
      Initially I connected it using THIS and was able to get a picture of a Saturn and ring shaped slightly blurry blob, which I have to zoom in on the image to see, thus blurring it further. For my first attempt I was pretty pleased. I then watched some YouTube videos of people showing how it's done and upgraded the Canon T-ring to THIS so I could drop a lens into it for more zoom. 
      However, when I try the new adapter with a lens the camera picks nothing up - any picture I take regardless of how long exposure I use just comes out as a black screen - not even any stars.
      If I take then lens out of the adapter I get the same. I only get a picture if I use the original T-ring, back to the blurry really small blob. 
      Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to get into astrophotography but not getting anywhere yet. 
      Many thanks in advance. 
    • By Carboncrazy
      Can anyone help? I'm pretty much a novice at this astronomy stuff but loving the steep learning curve. I started by using camera lenses modified to use an eyepiece but after much debate, deliberation and saving up, I have finally bought my first proper telescope. Unfortunately I now have a problem.
      Last year I bought a second hand Synscan EQ5 mount which has worked perfectly each time I have used it. I  used it about a month ago for the first time with the new scope (last time we had a clear sky). Everything worked as it should. At 2 am I parked the scope, dismantled everything and put it away. Nothing was dropped, snagged or got wet.
      The forecast said we might get a clear sky last night. Anticipating this I got the mount on the bench, stripped, cleaned, polished and greased the DEC axis plain bearings (hoping this might help with guiding). When finished I connected the motor controller and handset and switched on. I was greeted with the following messages: INITIALISING then CAUTION BOTH AXES NO RESPONSE. If I press enter and carry on through the menus, then everything appears to be as it should except no motors run. I have tried everything I can think of and would be very grateful of advise or suggestions. These are things I have tried, so far:
      Factory reset
      Different power supply. I have been using a motorbike battery which is giving 13.5V constantly when I switch on. I have tried two other batteries with a 2A charger connected.
      Continuity tested the cables from the plugs that go onto the motherboard of the controller all the way to the motors.
      I made up the  RJ45 and RJ12 diagnostic cables suggested in the manual and the handset appears to be ok.
      Removed the motors from the mount to make sure that they turn freely.
      Replaced the RJ45 cable from the handset to the controller.
      Examined the motherboard for dry joints and damaged components.
      Assembled everything in the tripod to make sure that the earthing tab on the controller made no difference.
      I now feel that the problem is the controller motherboard but logic tells me that it was the mount I disassembled, so the fault should lie there. Is there anyone who has had the same problem or who has the same system that could help me diagnose the problem. I'm in North Shropshire but happy to travel to anyone who could help. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with the same mount.

• By stardude07
      Hello,
      I am wanting (not really 😪) to sell my Stellarvue SV105-3SV with tube rings [not shown in pictures]. The telescope is in great condition with very little dust and no scratches. There is one very small ding in the dew shield paint but it is not dented and it is almost not even noticeable. It happened when I took the telescope out of the saddle and it lightly hit the saddle. The telescope has never been dropped or had any issues and is optically perfect with a strehl of .95 or higher (claimed by Stellarvue).
      I've only used this telescope for imaging however I've once or twice thrown an eyepiece in it during a star party or two and it's VERY crisp with no false color.
      Currently I live in Italy so that's where it can be picked up or shipped from. Price is negotiable however Stellarvue says it is worth around $1200-$1500 USD. The nice thing is you wouldn't have any VAT from Stellarvue . Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or are interested.
      Lastly, here is a link to some images that I've taken with it and what it looks like mounted up: https://www.astrobin.com/users/chriscorkill/
      SV105-3SV Specifications
      Aperture: 105mm Apochromatic Precision Triplet Focuser: 3" Dual Speed Focuser with 2" and 1.25" eye piece adapters F Ratio: f/7 Focal Length: 735mm Color Correction: Excellent Minimum Tube Length: 16" in travel mode Tube Diameter: ~ 4-1/8" (105mm) Dew Shield Diameter: ~ 5-3/8" (137mm) OTA Weight: ~12lbs (5.4kg) Retractable Dewshield: Yes

• By devdusty
      Further to my post about the Skywatcher flexible 130 p, I am now looking at a short focus tefractor. I am 70 years old so can only manage to carry a fairly lightweight telescope into my back garden.
      I am interested in viewing the moon, double stars,  bright planets and the brighter star clusters.
      I am looking to purchase one of the following
      Celestron  travel scope 70
      Bresse r Classic 70/350
      Skywatcher mercury 705 70mms.
      I understand that these telescopes have limitations, but they the only ones in my price range.
      Any comments or advice would be welcome.
      Chris P
    • By Fraunhoffer
      lets imagine I wasn't to see a nice DSO about 15' size and I think it should look good nicely framed with a 1 deg field of view in the EP..
      Which would give the better (or higher probability of seeing anything at all ) view from a semi urban light polluted home site (e.g Bortle 6)?
      a) an 100mm f/6 refractor (fl 600mm) and a 10mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov pf 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 100mm / 60 = 1.6mm)
      or
      b) a  200mm SCT with focal reducer to give f/6 (fl 1200mm) and a 20mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov of 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 200 / 60 = 3.3mm)
      My gut feeling is that the SCT should give a better view just based upon its 2xaperture - but Im not sure I understand fully the maths why.
      Is the larger exit pupil going to result in a better / brighter / more successful view?
      Or will the view be 'roughly' the same ?
      Or have I got it all wrong.....

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.