Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Rig Configuration

Ive been wanting to do this for a while now and just got around to doing it.   I've been umming and arring about one of these small mini PC's..  Bit the bullet and bought a Beelink N41 from Amazon.  Its got a Gemini Lake CPU, 6GB Ram and 128GB SSD, 4 USB 3 Ports, WIFI (2.4 & 5.8) and most important, its 12v.

With the Pegasus Astro Ultimate Power Box also on the mount the only cable i need to run is a single 12v cable from either my battery or 12v mains supply.

The mini PC comes with Windows 10 home..  A quick upgrade to Pro (for the convenience of remote desktop) a few updates and that seems very stable.  All my normal software loaded on to it no problem at all - SGP, PHD2, Cartes du Ciel, ASCOM, EQMod, GPS and camera drivers.  No problems with any of them installing.   Copied over the SPG profiles and was up and working after about 3 hours work.

In simulation everything works a treat, only a clear night will tell if it cuts the mustard... but i have no reason to think it wont.

Last thing i need to do is figure out how to make the PC easy to mount/dismount so i can use it with my other scope.  I have toyed with the idea of having the PC attached to the mount, but much prefer it on the mounting plate - it keeps cables and such like far more manageable. 

Rgds

Aidan

IMG_3539.HEIC IMG_6949.HEIC IMG_0033.HEIC

I have a vixen saddle that i have attached to the base of the mini PC and it slots onto the front of the dovetail bar on my scope. 

I can supply a picture if interested.

With it being movable it can be slid along to assist with balance. It also makes a good stop at the front.

Having trouble with .heic as well on windows10pro,  updated irfanview &  windows photo supposedly.......  but still won't display, thought it may have been the downloaded file but managed to use an online converter to convert to jpeg and that worked. A new Mac & iphone format that will take some work on windows.

Sorry to digress from original subject.

Sorry about that, not sure what happend with the images, hopefully these will display.

Tested it the other evening, and it performed perfectly.  The Mini PC had no problem running all the sw and capturing the images.  Very impressed

The only thing I needed to do was to move my WiFi access point to give a stronger connection when in the garden!

I am very tempted to get  2nd one to mount to my other rig rather than trying to swap one mini pc between two rigs.

09E4D255-4B2E-4C77-9F77-3EB8EA3DE15A.jpeg

12BE2754-6CAA-4AC5-A74B-2C1457090217.jpeg

DC83D8A1-ED73-4306-913C-AD101F03CFFC.jpeg

Edited by Aidan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update for those interested... I moved the mini pc from my 70mm to my Esprit 120 .last week. Plugged everything in and have had 3 imaging sessions over the weekend without a single hitch. It worked perfectly

The last 2 nights I finally moved off my mains dc power supply and ran directly off my lesiure battery... again, it worked perfectly. So much so, I now have confidence that I can “go native†and image away from home in a dark site.... which will hopefully happen soon.

With both scopes running pretty much the same hardware, the hardest thing with switching the mini pc from one scope to the other is attaching it securely. Need to get some, but the strong hook & loop tape on both the scopes and the pc along with a strap should do the trick and make swapping easy.

When it comes to relatively low cost items, the mini pc has to be right up there with some of the best/most useful items I have bought for my rig.

Edited by Aidan