Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
PembrokeSteve

My 1st go at M101 The Pinwheel Galaxy

Hi,

Inspired by Forum Member Xiga, after seeing his fine image of M101 on 22 March 2019, I just couldn't wait to get an image of the Pinwheel Galaxy. 
My image was taken on 27/03/2019 with my Orion ED80 Refractor and Canon 450D, on my NEQ6Pro mount.
( As usual, at present, my images don't have enough hours put into them yet, because I am still figuring out how to plate-solve with APT !
Once I get plate-solving under my belt, I will start to get more data, hours wise, into my images ).
My image below is approx 1 hours worth of light subs, composed of a mixture of mainly 70 sec lights, including some 60 sec lights and 40 sec lights, all at 1600ASA.
I also incorporated 20 darks , 35 bias frames and 35 flat frames.
Processed through APP and then GIMP.
Regards,

Steve

03-27-2019_20.00UT_M101_OrionED80_Canon450D_JPEG.jpg

• Like 7

Hello Steve. Nice picture after all.... But you are right saying it need more integration.

I'm telling this because,like you,I faced the same problem. My place is in a city suburb,very light polluted and with a very small garden. Moreover my view of the sky is just a small slice :from meridian up to 45 degree to west.

So,I must do all my shot in shift of 2 hours or less, in different night,with all the difficult you can image.

APT offer a nice feature called "framing mask". You load or shoot a picture and create a kind of mask putting small circle on bright stars. You can then save it and recall when you need. No need a perfect alignment as one stacked the pictures you can crop them a little cutting the black edges.

You can find the framing mask feature under the "tool" tab.

On,BTW, I have a similar setup as yours but the mount is just a poor eq5

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PembrokeSteve
      Hi, 
      During the 3 clear nights in a row, I had last week, I could not resist giving the Horsehead Nebula a go, using my Vixen VC200L.
      Whilst imaging with my Canon 450D via APT, I could not make out the Horse's head whatsoever on my laptop screen, but I knew I was on target, because I could see NGC2023, at the bottom of my screen.
      Anyway I was pleasantly suprised with this result after processing through APP and tweaking in GIMP.
      Not the total failure I was expecting.

Image Info:-
      Vixen VC200L Telescope
      Canon 450D camera unmodified
      ISO 1600
      All I could do before fog ended the night:-
      x20 120 sec Lights, x20 100 sec Lights, x10 80 sec Lights, x10 40 sec Lights
      x21 Darks, x40 Bias and x40 Flats

Processed in APP 

Regards,
      Steve

• By PembrokeSteve
      Hi,
      Very pleased with my first ever attempt at imaging M31. Photo taken with my Orion ED80 Refractor, and Canon 450D DSLR at ISO 1600.
      Only scraping the surface "exposure wise", I know, with 48 Lights (composed of mainly 60 sec subs, with some 30 sec subs thrown in as well).
      7 Darks, 20 Flats ,20 Bias
      Image processed from start to finish with Astro Pixel Processor (APP), of which I have just started a 30 day free trial.
      I am VERY impressed with APP, after experiencing lots of frustration with DSS and GIMP.
      Excited of what may be possible , when I begin to expose for longer periods of time., which I intend to do as a gain more experience.
      Regards to all
      Steve

• By SDB777
      This is about as good as I'll be able to get with this Barlow lens and the humidity/heat that we are having in the central part of Arkansas.  I'll be getting ahold of a much higher quality Barlow at some point before the end of the year, probably a 3x or maybe even the 5x(not sure about the 5x on such a small refractor though, and the folks I've been asking apparently want to keep this a secret).....I digress.  If you have suggestions on a 1.25" Barlow in either 3x or 5x....please let me know!

This is the full sized image-should be able to click and go full screen(I think).

Stuff?
      Easy....from the ground up!
      Battery pack and power source for laptop and mount.
      Mount is still my iOptron ZEQ25GT
      Optic is the Orion ED80(standard, not the triplet or carbon)
      Celestron 2x Barlow with the red filter
      Camera is the Imaging Source DMK 21AU618.AS(monochrome)-having to focus through the diagonal to get enough 'travel'(sure that doesn't help the quality)
      No polar alignment was done, the Moon....well, it's the Moon.  I set-up really close to where the normal alignment is, and called it good.  After all, the sun was still up.....and the mosquitos were already feeding on me!
      Shot twenty-five - 1,000 frame, uncompressed, Y800 videos.
      Stacked those 25 videos as a 'batch stack' in AS!2.
      Cropped all the 'funny stuff' off in LR2015, and then selected all 25 'photos' to be merged in PS2015.
      Completed mosaic was then processed using NikCollection tools and some 'tweaks' in LR2015, border added in Picsas3.

Scott (got the "X" too) B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.