Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

On 31/05/2019 at 16:59, Scott said:

Here's a few from a complete newcomer to camera lens imaging. Atik 460EX-135mm Samyang_Ha

1374811521_heartandsoul_Overlayed.thumb.png.152e5e4f6ba289f82e2d52abf15d0d24.png1250946634_SadrtoCrescent_Ha_Stack_Decon_Pro.thumb.png.a0cf247666edba0a9fd32d84fbbe6f1f.pngImage1croppedStretched2.thumb.png.018b48f6bb6619d5787924ab639fdf2f.png1187334470_American_PelicanNebulae_stretch_Gradient.thumb.png.27dc1c9baaf0a260a0f7603bdc8cd8bd.png726937735_FlamingStarNebula_Stretch_Gradient_Sharpen_Restretch.thumb.png.a79a5ffd3c6f8d621ccb02258796e0f6.png

Nice images, do you have the aperture stopped down for these? The stars seem very tight. 

Adam 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Nice images, do you have the aperture stopped down for these? The stars seem very tight. 

Adam 

Cheers Adam. Can't recall exactly the f/stop but it'd be around f/3.5. Of course shooting in ha helps and the fact that they're mosaics all contribute to the star size 🙂

All, 

I will be going to Aus for a month early next year and am thinking of one of these for portable work with my ASI1600mm pro.

I see a large number of people supporting both the lens and the camera as opposed to clamping only the lens or only the camera to the mount, is this strictly required or are people just doing it because droop / flex is an issue with the canon connector?

Adam

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I see a large number of people supporting both the lens and the camera as opposed to clamping only the lens or only the camera to the mount, is this strictly required or are people just doing it because droop / flex is an issue with the canon connector?

I am on my third EoS adapter.

The first came from a well known German supplier and suffers from droop.

The second came from a well known UK supplier (not FLO) and suffers from droop and is almost impossible to demount as the release catch is flimsy and will not release the lens without the help of some pliers and some considerable manipulation.

The third is the ZWO  adapter and so far it works better than any of the other others.

I use a TS ring along with the ZWO mount (see my post of 13th August above) because it makes it easier to remove the whole assembly from the mount at the end of an imaging session and I want the whole assembly to be rigid and well supported.

Adrian

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Adam J said:

All, 

I will be going to Aus for a month early next year and am thinking of one of these for portable work with my ASI1600mm pro.

Adam

Adam, Im currently working on a fix to completely eliminate the droop issue with the EOS bayonet connection (conversion of the lens to M48 thread). Its going to be a prototype so watch this space and I will have some news in a week or two.

Currently, the lens needs to be supported because its quite heavy, which causes compression of the bayonet fitting as the mount slews about - its only secured with three springs, which isnt really strong enough when imagng at f2 tbh - which is why people are supporting the lens to minimise the movement. Moving to an all-threaded connection will (in theory) resolve that issue.

Another bonus of going all threaded is that you will claw back the space taken up by the EOS-T2 adaptor.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Adam, Im currently working on a fix to completely eliminate the droop issue with the EOS bayonet connection (conversion of the lens to M48 thread). Its going to be a prototype so watch this space and I will have some news in a week or two.

Currently, the lens needs to be supported because its quite heavy, which causes compression of the bayonet fitting as the mount slews about - its only secured with three springs, which isnt really strong enough when imagng at f2 tbh - which is why people are supporting the lens to minimise the movement. Moving to an all-threaded connection will (in theory) resolve that issue.

Another bonus of going all threaded is that you will claw back the space taken up by the EOS-T2 adaptor.

Sounds like something lots of people would find very useful. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam J said:

Sounds like something lots of people would find very useful. 

Yep indeed :) if the modification works, Im going to order a bunch of them to be machined, but I have to run it past admin first.

Not sure where I will stand on intellecual property rights though :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Yep indeed :) if the modification works, Im going to order a bunch of them to be machined, but I have to run it past admin first.

I am most likely getting one of these so hold one for me please. 🙂

Edited by Adam J

22 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Hi Uranium, I am also very interested in these. 

Take a look at this, I don't want to put the mockers on anything but seems very straightforward once you have a suitable replacement mount.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4234335

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4157183 

This also opens up the possibility of getting any version of the lens and simply replacing the mount (unless I've missed something)

37 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

Hi Uranium, I am also very interested in these. 

Take a look at this, I don't want to put the mockers on anything but seems very straightforward once you have a suitable replacement mount.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4234335

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4157183 

This also opens up the possibility of getting any version of the lens and simply replacing the mount (unless I've missed something)

Im aware that the same rule will apply to any variant of the 135mm (and maybe other lenses - even for mirrorless), the modification Im proposing is about getting completely away from bayonet connections and moving it to a screw-fit.

Those links seem to deal with the idea of switching between lens mounts of various manufacturers, which doesnt really apply to what im doing as im ordering a custom mount (focused on AP) from scratch. Of course, once its modded you wont be able to just pop it on your DSLR again - unless you take 10min to swap out the lens mount :)

Lets concentrate on the 135mm f2 MF for now, get it working - and then we can take a look at where else this can be applied.

Yeah didn't really mean it as a direct example more just a view of the inner workings, there isn't much in there. Seems to be as simple as 3 screws.

I'm with you on the screw fits, I'm currently suffering from a horrible amount of tilt in my system  

1 minute ago, KyleStoke said:

Yeah didn't really mean it as a direct example more just a view of the inner workings, there isn't much in there. Seems to be as simple as 3 screws.

I'm with you on the screw fits, I'm currently suffering from a horrible amount of tilt in my system  

Its alright ;) Ive already seen the inner workings - a fellow SGL member was brave enough to take his apart so I could see if there are any nasty surprises lurking underneath the bayonet, and there isnt - so its all systems go :D

14 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

I found the Telescope Express Canon adapter, similar to Geoptik, holds the lens quite well.

My Samyang has an odd corner but that might just be the lens, I know same of the lenses have been a bit iffy in the past.

If Rob can come up with a nice option that will eliminate any slop, gotta be a good thing.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 13:55, Uranium235 said:

Im currently working on a fix to completely eliminate the droop issue with the EOS bayonet connection

Hi. I would also be interested in one of these please. Excellent idea if it solves the droop problem.

Thank you.

Adrian

Well.... this is turning out to be a popular idea :D

Ive tried the Geoptik adaptor, but i found it a PITA to change filters. The adaptor I have planned will allow the useage of pretty much any standard thickness FW (~21mm), as long as your camera backfocus requirement isnt ridiculous (like 20mm+).