SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with the Samyang 135mm f2

48 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

@Rush - Are you sure that image of the Pleiades and California was taken with the Samyang? That looks more like a 50mm shot to me.

That's the FOV when using this lens with a full frame camera 

• Like 1

I bought one last year, but haven't used it in anger yet.  My camera is a Sony A6500 so I bought the Sont fit, even though my plan was to use with the asi1600 mono.  I then got the ZWO adapter, but it was faulty and had to go back.  I got a replacement, but then realised that because the Sony camera is mirrorless the connector on the lens to chip distance is very short - so no room for a filter wheel - d'oh.  This thread has inspired me to get it back out, particularly as I've picked up a colour asi1600 ?  - or just use it for its designed purpose with my A6500!

And finally a request... could people add their configuration, exposure times etc to their images as I think that will help those of us starting out!

Helen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Helen said:

I bought one last year, but haven't used it in anger yet.  My camera is a Sony A6500 so I bought the Sont fit, even though my plan was to use with the asi1600 mono.  I then got the ZWO adapter, but it was faulyty and had to go back.  I got a replacement, but then realised that because the Sony camera is mirrorless the connector on the lens to chip distance is very short - so no room for a filter wheel - d'oh.  This thread has inspired me to get it set up, particularly as I've picked up a colour asi1600 ?  - or just use it for its designed purpose with my A6500!

And finally a request... could people add their configuration, exposure times etc to their images as I think that will help those of us starting out!

Helen

At F2 exposures will be Strongly Location + Camera Dependant isn't it?

I cannot go longer than 30sec @ISO100 with my Canon 1300D in Woolwich.... And ISO100 is very noisy...

Thinking of stepping down to F4, till I manage to print my bracket/holder for ASI1600:)

This is my setup.
HEQ5 Pro with Rowan belt mod, a Lacerta stand alone guider with 60mm guide scope.
Camera is Atik 383L with an Astrodon 5nm Ha filter in the Telescope Express Canon adapter.
Focusing is a SW focus motor lash up, no auto focus.
Can easily do 900secs but mostly my images are 600secs.

atiksamyang2.jpg.9b5cb231136144bef000ce0e303e2489.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Helen said:

No problem, I've added a few more details to my posts. There are also a few tips on using it in my first post to this thread.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

@Rush - Are you sure that image of the Pleiades and California was taken with the Samyang? That looks more like a 50mm shot to me.

1000% :).

Shot with Sony A7 and Samyang , around 15 frames  @ 300s iso 800.

Cone N, with SBIG ST 8300 M .

R & G ,3 frames @ 300s, B 6 frames  @  300s, Ha  12 frames  @ 600s.

Rosette N , same as above.

Cheers

11 hours ago, RolandKol said:

At F2 exposures will be Strongly Location + Camera Dependant isn't it?

I cannot go longer than 30sec @ISO100 with my Canon 1300D in Woolwich.... And ISO100 is very noisy...

Thinking of stepping down to F4, till I manage to print my bracket/holder for ASI1600:)

Use a LP filter screwd infront of the lens , works fine.

Dithering is a must for DSLR,s. to reduce noise.

B 4 u print out  bracket/ holder, buy from Phillipe in France. http://www.astrokraken.fr/samyang-135mm-f-2-c30078976,  well made , i use it.  hope this helps. This will provide you more time for PDS Collimation?135mm f:2 bracket + micro-focuser

Par astrokraken le 2 Juillet 2018 à 00:33

Samyang 135mm f:2 bracket + micro-focuserSamyang 135mm f:2 bracket + micro-focuser
Samyang 135mm f:2 bracket + micro-focuserSamyang 135mm f:2 bracket + micro-focuser

This bracket allows to mount your Samyang 
135 f:2 telephoto lens on an equatorial mount 
for astrophotography.

A hinged micro-focuser ring has been mounted 
on the lens, to fine

• Like 1

Nah... he leaves no room for EFW and my autofocuser... 

Plus his camera left hanging... I am almost sure it will introduce tilt... I saw one model on his web, were bracket at last Holds ASI1600MM properly,

but this bracket will have no use for my Canon and even EFW!!!

So if I will need to buy from him, I will end up with 2 brackets and with: + manual focus, +manual filter change.

Not the way I want to go. :)

My PDS is collimated, not perfect, but Close enough to make me happy :) 

And we have plenty of Cloudy Nights to make a Proper Bracket with the place for all the automation my toys have and one for both cameras :)

• Like 1

Well last night was crystal clear and calm. As i`m currently unemployed i thought i might as well take full advantage as in a few weeks it won`t be worth setting up due to the Summer months.
Anyway i had a few issues (all of my own making). So i thought i`ll get a North American Nebula in early.
So here we have approx 60 mins of exposure in 75 sec subs @ iso 400. Taken with the following.

Modded 450d / Samyang 135 mm f2 @ f2.8 / Vixen GPDX and skysensor 2000 PC / Skytech L Pro filter.

Captured in BYEOS. Stacked in DSS with calibration frames. Processed in Photoshop.

Thanks for looking

NGC 7000 Samyang 135 f 2 Emil.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/04/2019 at 07:31, RolandKol said:

Nah... he leaves no room for EFW and my autofocuser... 

Plus his camera left hanging... I am almost sure it will introduce tilt... I saw one model on his web, were bracket at last Holds ASI1600MM properly,

but this bracket will have no use for my Canon and even EFW!!!

So if I will need to buy from him, I will end up with 2 brackets and with: + manual focus, +manual filter change.

Not the way I want to go. :)

My PDS is collimated, not perfect, but Close enough to make me happy :) 

And we have plenty of Cloudy Nights to make a Proper Bracket with the place for all the automation my toys have and one for both cameras :)

True , about autofocuser. but you can find  a way around. Filterwheel is not a problem , the one  i use s quiet heavy still it doesnt tilt in any direction.

Two brackets comes with a Vixen style D.tail and the guidescope clamp acts as a reinforcement. Maybe on the reinforcement some modification to attach the A.focuser?

image3.JPG.b11fea13d55108741f973f418df5d1d6.JPG

image2.JPG.d9afe21802b0090c90c8345ece75aa64.JPG

I've had my 135mm a year now and used it primarily with an Atik428ex and more recently a ASI1600MM-Pro.

This is the Heart and Soul using the ASI1600; 15x120s + 15x180s at unity gain, offset 50. I really like the wide field of view offered by this combination.

1998049949_2019-04-11-HeartSoul-4500s_Ha.thumb.jpg.f6fe9f5205dac33b3cc0d9a53bbd2420.jpg

I use a fairly manual setup - manual filter change and semi-manual focussing using a homemade stepper motor system.

IMG_8734.thumb.JPG.ad87e0988b01d8967364f9d3ef32120d.JPGIMG_8735.thumb.JPG.925d8cbb6fe7778c0bf719fad8d7603e.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

I've had my 135mm a year now and used it primarily with an Atik428ex and more recently a ASI1600MM-Pro.

This is the Heart and Soul using the ASI1600; 15x120s + 15x180s at unity gain, offset 50. I really like the wide field of view offered by this combination.

1998049949_2019-04-11-HeartSoul-4500s_Ha.thumb.jpg.f6fe9f5205dac33b3cc0d9a53bbd2420.jpg

I use a fairly manual setup - manual filter change and semi-manual focussing using a homemade stepper motor system.

IMG_8734.thumb.JPG.ad87e0988b01d8967364f9d3ef32120d.JPGIMG_8735.thumb.JPG.925d8cbb6fe7778c0bf719fad8d7603e.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

Looks nice , i want to assemble a similar stepper motor focuser , but was unable to find that rubber belt. You have any idea where i can buy one of those.

Once i had that filter tray , i replaced with Atik  ew 2. Makes the struggle a lot easier Adrian. With ASI 1600 a lot more easier attaching the electric filterwheel.

Spacing is almost perfect.

cheers

Rush

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rush said:

that rubber belt. You have any idea where i can buy one of those.

Hi Rush.

I bought the belt from MotionCo - along with the various pulley components, etc.

I don't think I will be going for the electronic option thank you; I prefer the simple approach ;)

Good luck with sourcing an appropriate belt.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Typo
  • Thanks 1

I also managed (just!) to capture 15x120s of OIII last night to add to the Ha in my earlier post. The target was only at 30 degrees elevation and well within the LP of Derby and LP from the moon. It's a testament to the 135mm and the 1600MM-Pro that I got anything at all! Just enough to add a little bit of colour and hopefully not too much noise.

403362949_2019-04-11-HeartSoul-4500s1800s_HOO.thumb.jpg.6b6208a546ff89aada822431f7f40616.jpg

This is pre-processed in Astro Pixel Processor, followed by DBE and HT applied in PixInsight, and then Bi-Colour combined using Annie's Astro Actions in PS followed by a little bit of noise reduction using Nik dFine2.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Clarification
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Hi Rush.

I bought the belt from MotionCo - along with the various pulley components, etc.

I don't think I will be going for the electronic option thank you; I prefer the simple approach ;)

Good luck with sourcing an appropriate belt.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :), and happy imaging,

Cs

Rush

I've looked at buying this lens as a possible replacement for my ageing Nikon ED180 F2.8 which was the recomended fast widefield AP lens in its day.

I don't want to hook it up to a CCD- so has anyone got any unprocessed, full frame DSLR images at F2 to post? I'd like to see if it is an improvement on the 'slow' old Nikon! And also how well it handles CA- one of the Nikons failings (on my lens at least) was issues with CA wide open. I found I had to stop down to F4 and use a Lumicom Minus Violet filter (almost half the cost I paid for the lens!!).

21 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

I don't want to hook it up to a CCD- so has anyone got any unprocessed, full frame DSLR images at F2 to post?

Not full frame, but here's a single sub on the Rosette and Cone with the 1100D after a rough colour balance. Taken unguided, so there is about 0.5-1 pixels of trailing in there. I believe it's f2, but there is a chance I accidently clicked the aperture to f2.4.

• Like 1