1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

Store the telescope: Horizontal or vertical ?

You are going to forgive me the curiosity but I have not seen this topic anywhere

How is it better to store mirror telescopes, horizontal or vertical?

Can it help to decollimate faster according to the storage position by the weight of the mirrors and the construction of the telescope?

Thanks for all suggestions..

I have always stored my dob vertically. It would take up too much room stored horizontally and I think it would be more liable to be bumped . It has always kept collimating we’ll only requiring the occasional tweak.

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I have always stored my dog vertically. It would take up too much room stored horizontally

I have informed the RSPCA because of how you treat your dog.   ?

Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I store my several Dobs horizontally to help reduce dust settling on the primary.  I do understand that not everyone has the room to do that.  

I don’t think it matters which way you store regarding holding collimation for a regular tube Dob.  Truss tube Dobs may be different in that regard with mirrors often held in a sling. But large truss Dobs usually get collimated every time after assembly.

Ed.

Thanks for the answers and the spark of humor

I would like to extend the type of mirror telescopes to the Newtons / Richty-Chretien and Smith-Cassegrain ( and others?). I have always feared that a horizontal position, due to the weight of the secondary mirror could decollimate the telescope.

Unfortunatelly is in storage position most of the time due to bad weather..☹️

Its good that you mention other scopes, I hear that Maks and SCT are best stored vertically mirror down to prevent any grease leaching out onto the corrector plate especially in warm environments.

Alan

• Like 1

I store my SCT horizontally in a padded  crate because it fits on the racking that way and I don't like the thought of the mirror hanging off the focuser all the time, or putting it with the corrector plate face down.
(although I notice several pictures with it face down)
Not sure what Id do if I had a CPC / truss type mount though.

• Like 1