Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" eyepiece for CPC 800

I was wondering what 2" eyepieces people are using on their CPC 800's. I am looking at getting one or perhaps two in the near future, one for planetary and one for DSO's. I wear glasses so would need long eye relief.

Any advice as long as it is friendly 1f642.png? would be appreciated.

I don't have any 2" eyepieces for my CPC800.  There is no point in having a 2" for planetary as a 1.25" will serve well enough at short focal lengths/high powers.

A 2" of around 40mm FL could be useful for getting the widest actual field, OTOH by the time you have bought a 2" premium eyepiece, 2" diagonal and 2" visual back, you could have bought a wider field Newtonian with the same money.  (I already have two f5 scopes.)?

Hi Cosmic Geoff thanks for your reply, I already have the 2" diagonal, 2" visual back and a SW startravel 102 and 130pds ?.  I also have the SW LET 28mm 2" which I find comfortable to use. To be honest I seem to struggle looking through the 1.25" eyepieces I have☹️. I am really after a better quality 2" than the SW 28mm LET.

I use quite a range of 2" EPs on my GP-C8 (same optics, different mount), and I love the Nagler 31T5 (a.k.a. Panzerfaust) and the LVW 42 mm, which gives the largest FOV. I also use the Nagler 22T4 and 17T4 regularly, and they are all superb. If you can still get them, try the MaxVision 68 and 82 deg types, they should be great in the CPC800 (I have the 24mm 68 deg, and it is superb down to F/6, very good at F/5, less so at F/4, where the Nagler 22 clearly beats it).

I have and have had a fair amount of 2 inch eyepieces most are from TeleVue and very expensive but I would look for secondhand. The 34mm Meade SWA is a fine eyepiece as too the 24mm UWA (ExSc do the exact same with different clothes and probaly coatings). My most used in an array of scopes is the Panoptic 35mm 68 degree I have too the 41mm which matches the 42mm Michael mentioned but I am not that fond of it due to it showing very slight vignette. The Aero (SW I think) 40mm I had from America with a different ( Astrotech) name was also very good and and much cheaper.

Alan

Archived