SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I have been wetting my feet at this thing of the devil called A.P. I had a go at M51 during full moon, but before the terminator made its appearance from the horizon. Data was captured during two nights, so the FOV wasn't a  good match.

What puzzles me is stacking in DSS. I have tried with the default settings, custom rectangle, drizzle and no drizzle, superpixel. Stacked 95% of 175, 30s subs along with 30 darks.

DSS came up with several outcomes, drizzle seems pointless, and unless I apply the destroying "dust and scraches" filter on the background, the noise is very high.

So I would very much appreciate any advice on stacking settings, and also would like you to give your best shot at processing this data, as this will give me an idea of how far this can be pushed by more experienced AP'ers.

I've used a bresser 150/750 newt, AZEQ5, Canon 600d, stacked with dss (except for one with sequator), and PS for processing.

My results are here....

And the stacks from dss here....

SEQSTACK.tif

Autosave004.tif

Autosave003.tif

Yes, ISO was set at 1600, and no I had no idea of reference frame. Also I didn't reject any subs as there weren't any extremely worst than the others such as long trailing or sat/plane passes. About 1/4 of them had the worst LP, should I had rejected them?

Taking your advice, I will try a new stack.

Before, I had 182 subs with:

score ranging from 190-740, FWHM from 3.58-5.00 and sky background from 1.86%-4.77.

Now I checked all subs with score above 450, leaving me with 145 subs with:

score ranging from 456-740, FWHM from 3.58-4.56 and sky background from 1.86%-4.69. Also checked as reference frame the one with the highest score.

I am currently stacking the best 95% of them with kappa-sigma 2/5, no background calibration, no RGB align.

I will post the outcome ASAP!

Archived