Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

April New Moon Spotting

CentaurZ

It’s nearly time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge. I use the term New Moon in its classical sense of one’s first sighting of the Moon after its conjunction (Dark Moon) with the Sun.

For observers north of the tropics, being near the time of the Vernal Equinox is usually quite helpful for spotting a really young Moon. But this year the very young Moon in April will be well south of the ecliptic making it hard to detect, as made obvious in my graphic below. So most folks will need to wait for the nearly two-day-old Moon after sunset on Saturday, April 6.

Photos and descriptions of the young crescent Moon this month would be welcome additions to this thread.

New-Moon-1.JPG.c8a75730d785529b00387931eec4474b.JPG

On 04/04/2019 at 17:52, JamesF said:

Now if I could just do something about all this cloud :(

James

Indeed. I had my bonus pay on 20th March so bought myself an Altair GPCAM - I've genuinely not even seen the Moon since then!

Much thanks. I feel my images quite humble compared to those with much more experience than myself here on this terrific forum!!

But, believe me when I say, the modest things I do and see with my equipment and ability gives me enjoyment beyond words!

Again. Thanks!

Archived