Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Latest Joves...

Kokatha man

Hi SGL folks - I haven't posted for a long while & tbh we haven't managed very much imaging this year for a number of reason so far...equipment hassles but mainly clouds...clouds & more clouds! :(

We had to resort to the venerable ASI224MC last week where the seeing was pretty decent - here's an image from that morning (26th March) as well as a 24-frame reversing animation using WinJupos to interpolate additional frames to complement the number of captures we actually took by making additional frames from adjacent captures...

We also lashed out & bought a Stellarvue 10x60 finder scope & mounted it on a SkyWatcher  adjustable alt/az guidescape mount which is secured via a dovetail bar & clamp to an extra "rail" I constructed from 3mm thick folded aluminium -this device to come in useful for hunting down Neptune more easily later in the year. ;)

Lastly I converted an old aluminium pier with detachable legs to accept the EQ8 head with a plate I made from a piece of scrap plate aluminium - the ability to break this all down into 4 very light & small pieces (3 legs & the pier column) means it is much simpler & far lighter/easy to take with us & assemble...the 3 self-levelling adjustable height feet I purchased for the legs makes levelling the entire setup much simpler, it's a veritable breeze now & weighs so much less than the very heavy stock steel EQ8 tripod! :)  

Hopefully the animated gif won't need clicking on to start its motion!

j2019-03-26_20-35_rgb_dpm.png

j2019-03-26_rgb@120%-0.1secsdelay-ANIME-24frames.gif

AllPierTopPlate.jpg

NewPierInAction.jpg

...another pikky showing the Stellarvue finder a bit better - I can slide its dovetail bar & the finder back & forth in its clamp for fine Dec balance btw! ;)

This finder has focusing for both the ep (interchangeable) as well as the variable-illuminated X-hairs - the extra grunt of a 60mm objective is quite palpable & the finely illuminated X-hairs with adjustable brightness are a real boon after the old stock GSO 8x50 finder I used beforehand with a red LED dangling in front of it for illumination! :lol:  I can adjust the prism angle to suit any position that I or the scope is in also! :)

Pier&EQ8mk1.jpg

8 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

Thanks fellas - the scope details are in the first image posted bro :lol: - a C14! ;) 

Thank you. I guess that shows just how inexperienced I am that I didn't know that was a telescope model!

Archived