Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Waiting the new Mesu200 (mk2?)

carballada

22 minutes ago, billdan said:

You may have an issue with height as well Davey, my garden shed (Obs)  is 9' x 6 ' and 6' tall.

My walls are 6 feet high and with the scope parked horizontal the 100mm piggy backed refractor just clears the roll off roof.

Dave

4 minutes ago, billdan said:

Before you commit to buying one, get Lucas to give you all the measurements, just to make sure it will fit inside the Obs and you can still close the roof.

Bill

Hoping he'll publish some drawings with dimensions.

Dave

I am very interested in buying a Mesu 200 mount.
The new news is exciting and at the same time I have a lot of uncertainty.
An improved Mesu 200, lighter, with better quality motors / encoders, and with the best organized wiring ... uaaau, improve what was almost perfect.

Mesu 200 is a great mount, very precise, with a lot of load capacity, divisible and transportable, and for a reasonable price.

But now I do not understand the new design. It is divisible and lighter = more transportable ... but you need a huge pier? that is not transportable.
Non meridian flip is a great advantage, but it is not essential. And it does not help me if I can not transport the equipment with a huge pier.
This system is easier or harder to line up to the polar? When you have to assemble and disassemble every night, you want a quick and easy adjustment system.

Lucas has thought to offer a version without the pier and with the base of alignment to the polar star?

http://www.mesu-optics.nl/mesu200_en.html

The Mesu-Mount 200 is also available as a dividable mount exciting of the RA part of 14.5kg and a DEC part of 11,2kg. The declination part can easily be mounted on the RA part. This variant is very suitable for observations in th field.

Mesu200deel.jpg

------

I am from the Canary Islands (Spain). I'm using google translate, I'm sorry for the grammatical errors.

Edited by cabfl

I'm on the 'registered interest' list for a new Mesu, and I genuinely didn't know until now about a mk2.

I already have 2 significant piers so a non flip version won't work for me, unless I buy or make a wedge.

Hopefully, this will be accounted for and all will be good as I won't be looking to buy an elbow pier.

That's a good looking mount.

The pier looks like it will need a lot of floor space. The centre column doesn't look like it can be bolted to the floor on it's own, though the complete assembly might be able to be adapted. Unless you've got lots of space in your obsy then I might guess that you'll soon get sick of kicking those huge legs and knocking the alignment off

With my side-by-side bar, my obs roof just clears - by an inch or so - the top scope (my TEC140).  I have to be careful, at 3 in the morning, rolling the roof back so as not to whack the TEC.

I would have made my peer a tad lower if I built again.  Still an option to angle grind two inches off the top but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Edited by kirkster501

Finally I made some calculations on my observatory.

Currently I have only 45 cm free in front of my scope.

spacer.png

And seems that the offset that I need at my latitude is about 38.5cm, leaving only 6cm free in front of the telescope.

spacer.png

In my case I can not use this kind of pier, I need a regular wedge with no offset.

I am waiting the first pictures of the "regular" wedge from Mr.Mesu on the next days.

26 minutes ago, carballada said:

n my case I can not use this kind of pier, I need a regular wedge with no offset.

I am waiting the first pictures of the "regular" wedge from Mr.Mesu on the next days.

Me too.

Dave

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Me too.

Dave

Me 3...

Mr Bernard has confirmed that that mk1 is indeed no longer available and he will sort out details on the mk2 when he returns from holiday.

I would certainly need a wedge or custom elbow to fit my current monster pier.

I think it’s a bold step to cease manufacture of a design that has been very successful, but Lucas is clearly an innovative engineer so all credit to him for moving the design forward.

And why the move to the ver 1 Sitech controller, cost?

4 hours ago, Jonk said:

Me 3...

Mr Bernard has confirmed that that mk1 is indeed no longer available and he will sort out details on the mk2 when he returns from holiday.

I would certainly need a wedge or custom elbow to fit my current monster pier.

Me 4

It is possible to set the SiTech II to allow the Mesu 200 to go way past the meridian by changing the overpole and underpole settings. Limited by cables and motor crashes!. ( I may try this this summer having thought about it as I very rarely image west. )  If you do try this, make sure the scope is put back Eastward BEFORE parking as the Mesu 200 will take the shortest route to park !!....Could push the cables a little too far!! :(

As I normally only image to the east side of the meridian, LP is bad to my west, my current Mesu suits me fine. :)

I would still be interested to hear how this new model compares.

Edited by Star101
spelen misteak.

It’s the wedge. 

150€ and prepared for your latitude. 

Its possible to adjusts about 300km in North South direction, máximum of 600km but in this case it’s does not look good (because the angle is to forced). 

344223C0-7784-47B8-9FC4-32D1A234A860.jpeg

DFD0F07E-9093-467D-B43C-6ADE64EBE1AE.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, carballada said:

It’s the wedge. 

150€ and prepared for your latitude. 

I reckon I could knock up something a bit more substantial than that with better adjusters for less.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

And the Sitech unit?

At first glance, it seems that Mr.Mesu has not put much effort into making it attractive ... rather, for those who do not want to accept the pier.
The polemaster is mounted in two places? first in the wedge and then on the plate? Do you have to do the alignment routine twice?
The design of 3 screws to align does not convince me. If I was running away from the problems of the first design, I think that this solution is not the best either.

I like that the design allows you to wire everything inside, and the Berlebach tripod is fantastic ?

Edited by cabfl

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/04/2019 at 22:34, cabfl said:

And the Sitech unit?

At first glance, it seems that Mr.Mesu has not put much effort into making it attractive ... rather, for those who do not want to accept the pier.
The polemaster is mounted in two places? first in the wedge and then on the plate? Do you have to do the alignment routine twice?
The design of 3 screws to align does not convince me. If I was running away from the problems of the first design, I think that this solution is not the best either.

I like that the design allows you to wire everything inside, and the Berlebach tripod is fantastic ?

In my opinion never was a question of attractiveness ?, more about performance (and always the beauty is something so much subjective...)

The Polemaster is mounted in two places, first on the wedge for an overall tripod orientation (no need to complete all the procedure, only see the polar on the Polemaster camera screen) and after to insert the mount on top of the wedge doing the "real" full Polemaster procedure. 

With the 3 screws alignment you could use the two on the bottom like the azimut, and the top screw as the altitud. Not need to use four like on the previous mount. ?

• Like 1

The design is still better for fixed installation than ones that you'd setup everynight.

Sorry for my views but it just looks sloppy. Yes it's simplified but not in a way that helps the user. If anything this looks like it would end up being quite a cost saver for mesu to manufacture.

Much is made about the quality of mesu but it does makes me wonder why we don't have more friction mounts. Would like to get one in North America at a more reasonable shipping cost.

Really makes me wonder if I can just home built one of these and get similar performance.

Edited by cotak

8 hours ago, cotak said:

Sorry for my views but it just looks sloppy. Yes it's simplified but not in a way that helps the user. If anything this looks like it would end up being quite a cost saver for mesu to manufacture.

Mesu 200 is not a mount you can take in the field. Even with the splittable option is still bulky and rather fragile to transport often (see motors and motor encoders exposed). So it's not a bad thing that Lucas is making a "statement" about the mount as being better as a fixed mount. I would rather say it's a measure to simplify the manufacturing process so he can meet demand as there are always waiting lists for this mount.

8 hours ago, cotak said:

Really makes me wonder if I can just home built one of these and get similar performance.

The design of a friction mount is rather simple. You would have two major problems: Manufacturing the roller/disk with tight tolerances for roundness/smoothness and mounting the pair with high concentricity. Single piece precision manufacturing would be rather expensive and I think you would pay higher than the Mesu 200 price.

• 1 month later...
On 06/05/2019 at 23:32, mihaighita said:

Mesu 200 is not a mount you can take in the field. Even with the splittable option is still bulky and rather fragile to transport often (see motors and motor encoders exposed). So it's not a bad thing that Lucas is making a "statement" about the mount as being better as a fixed mount. I would rather say it's a measure to simplify the manufacturing process so he can meet demand as there are always waiting lists for this mount.

The design of a friction mount is rather simple. You would have two major problems: Manufacturing the roller/disk with tight tolerances for roundness/smoothness and mounting the pair with high concentricity. Single piece precision manufacturing would be rather expensive and I think you would pay higher than the Mesu 200 price.

The Mk1 is portable, I’ve been putting mine up and taking it down every session for 5 years, you just need:

1. A sturdy, large flightcase.

2. A strong back, or some willing helpers.

3. A vehicle with a decent amount of space if transporting it to a dark site.

4. A fair degree of motivation to want to do this.

85B42F08-DAFE-41A6-ACC3-0D59A1785CF6.jpeg

• Like 2