Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Waiting the new Mesu200 (mk2?)

carballada

Hi all,

I opened on my local astro forum (Spain) a post about my experiences to acquire a new mount to my observatory. Base on how interested is the people I open another one here .

Currently I am using an Astro-Physics Mach-1 GTO CP4 with an Altair Astro RC250-TT 10" RC Truss Tube (GSO) or a Teleskop Service TS Photoline 107mm f/6.5 Super-Apo.
With the current configuration : RC10", focuser MoonLite NiteCrawler WR30, Riccardi, OAG celestron, AstroLink 4 mini,  filter wheel and ASI1600 it's on 24 kg. 

I am completely happy with the AP mount but my plan is to use both telescopes on the same rig.. and always I wanted a Mesu. (in fact, the AP mount was acquire for a mobile set up)

When I contacted Mr. Mesu on February with my interest on the Mesu 200 he explains to me that he is working in a completely new mount, an upgraded version of the Mesu200. the original Mesu 200 is not available any more.

We talked about the new improvements that he want to introduce: internal cableling guide, better encoders on the motors, non meridian flip pier...

The plan is to present officially the mount on May 11th and start producing the new mount after 6-8 weeks after.

After some emails and calls I sent to him the first payment to have one!! risky? could be, but Lucas prove from long time that he is a committed maker, with a lot of experience on this kind of drive mounts and I bet for him. I believe that he will deliver a improve mount.

This morning I receive the first pictures that I want to share with you:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's really different to the previous one.

I will keep you updated!!

Edited by carballada
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

This could be a real game changer if he can keep the price down to what the current Mesu is for.

Will i be stoned to death if i say there isn't any better mounts out there in this price bracket at the moment?

It will keep the same price. Obviously I am with you (I purchased one ?),  no other one at this price/performance at this time, maybe OGEM on the future...

2 minutes ago, carballada said:

It will keep the same price. Obviously I am with you (I purchased one ?),  no other one at this price/performance at this time, maybe OGEM on the future...

and that's a maybe but i don't think the price of that beast will be anywhere near this beauty :)

• Like 1

Nice...

The reply to my email was, - price is not known for UK till Brexit as taxation is not yet clear.

P.S.

Lets hope he will also add some USB slots and I would be happy to test it for Free! :) hehehehe

• Like 1

I think is really a big improvement the fact to use internal cableling, no cables around and also the non meridian flip is an extra.

Anyone has experience with the Sitech Servo Controler I (version one, not two)?

spacer.png

2 hours ago, carballada said:

I think is really a big improvement the fact to use internal cableling, no cables around and also the non meridian flip is an extra.

Anyone has experience with the Sitech Servo Controler I (version one, not two)?

spacer.png

I don't think Lucas will revert to v1... Most probably this is a prototype that used the v1 of the controller. I would bet that he is going to use v2 

• Like 1

Yes that does look interesting. Especially the new pier.
There are a few "elbow" piers availalble, but the ones I have heard about are either made to order for the buyer's latitude or are off the shelf, but are limited to where you can use them

I wonder how Mesu is going to handle this?
If I can get a meridian-flip free pier for 37° north I might have to re-think all my plans for new toys this year ;)

7 minutes ago, pete_l said:

Yes that does look interesting. Especially the new pier.
There are a few "elbow" piers availalble, but the ones I have heard about are either made to order for the buyer's latitude or are off the shelf, but are limited to where you can use them

I wonder how Mesu is going to handle this?
If I can get a meridian-flip free pier for 37° north I might have to re-think all my plans for new toys this year ;)

As far I know the pier on the picture need to be build for your latitude, if your pier is prepare for 37 degrees it could be adjusted 3-4 degrees about 500km latitud distance) , if you need more you need another pier.

6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I wonder if it weighs any less than the original ?

Just thinking of portability to a dark site.

Dave

Davey, more info regarding your question:

The new mount has a much lower mass and is much stiffer than the old Mesu-200.

The drive discs have the same diameter as the old mount. (200mm.)

The head without counterweight bar is 18,5kg

Including the 750mm long counterweight bar it is 21.3kg.  (longer bar than the previous one)

The load capacity is also 100kg like the old mount, and  the head could be split very easily in two 9 kg. parts plus counterweight bar (2.7 kg.).

Edited by carballada
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, billdan said:

It looks like the Mesu 200 Mk2 can only be used with the bended knee pier as it has no latitude adjusters.

I wonder if I could fit it to my wedge ?

Dave

Yes, looks really great - I am no big fan of flips. I must have bought one of the final batch of the old version. The only worry I would have for the new ones is that if you want to sell it you have to sell it to someone +/- 500 km up or down from you, or they have to order their own pier, but that is hopefully not too expensive.

Edited by gorann

I was just struck with a possible additional problem with the new mount: how to make small polar adjustments. My obsy is built on rather soft clay (old farmland) and the pier moves slightly when the ground freezes and thaws so I need to do small adjustments. I cannot see any possibility for that in the images more than adjusting three large bolts attaching it to the wedge. I assume Lucas has a solution.

Edited by gorann

Surely it can't be cost-effective to make a pier for each customer's specific latitude?

I'd have thought from a manufacturing point of view it would make more sense to make them in, say, five degree increments, or something like that?  Unless sales volumes are sufficiently that it makes no difference.

James

When I look at the Mesu 300 on the Mesu site the philosophy seems to be the same - no latitude adjustment, being purely made for a stationary and very steady obsy. It also makes me wonder about the north-south adjustment, but I assume there are some adjustment for that.

Edited by gorann

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I think Mr Mesu should make a Mesu Wedge instead of or as well as a bent pier.

Dave

I agree Davey, or at least still make available the original Mesu 200 for those of us who have an existing pier and looking to upgrade. I can't imagine many astronomers would want to dig out their piers to accommodate the new version.  This new bended knee pier looks very tall, I don't think my roof in the Obs would be tall enough to use it. I'm glad I have the original Mesu 200 before it disappears.

Edited by billdan

8 minutes ago, billdan said:

I agree Davey, or at least still make available the original Mesu 200 for those of us who have an existing pier and looking to upgrade. I can't imagine many would want to dig out their piers to accommodate the new version. Plus this new bended knee pier looks very tall, I don't think my roof in the Obs would be tall enough to use it.

I looked at replacing my wedge fork mounted scope with a Mesu but my obs'y is only 6 feet by 6 feet and there's not a lot of room for an EQ mount and big scope flipping about whereas a non flipping Mesu on a wedge would be perfect.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T