Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M64 (Black Eye Galaxy) with dust

mftoet

Rogelio Bernal Andreo pointed this one out: patches of dust near the Black Eye Galaxy (M64).

I found this one quite difficult to process and I'm still not sure if I'm happy with the colours... There's a large difference in brightness between M64 and the lane of dust. Usually I try to keep away from local brightness adjustments, but this time I had to process M64 separately, because otherwise it would be completely overexposed. 

Captured last weekend from Grandpré (Ardennes, Northern France). Total integration time of 5 hours and 40 minutes. 5 minutes subs @ ISO 400. Takahashi Epsilon-180ED and Nikon D810a.

m64_62x300s_20190330-4K.jpg

m64_62x300s_20190330_crop-X3.jpg

Great imaging with a fabulous dust lane.

Unusually for you I find the colour very cold - blues dominant. You normally go for a warmer palette which I like. When Yves and I did the Black Eye at high res we found it came out a cream colour rather than blue. That doesn't mean we were right.

Anyway, a lovely deep image with stunning resolution for the focal length. You must have nailed focus to a fraction of a micron!

Olly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Unusually for you I find the colour very cold - blues dominant. You normally go for a warmer palette which I like.

Thanks, Olly. I totally agree on this subject. Maybe I’ve missed an exit. Might need to start from scratch. It’s a nice drive though. 

Agree with the sentiments allready given.

The second photo is obviously the most detailed of the intended target. And if the intention is to show the Black Eye Galaxy, then that would be the obvious favourite.

But the composition of the first photo with the veil of dust across the whole frame, is realy something special.

Very understandable that you chose to post them both. Impossible to choose.

Very nice image.

I imaged this in March last year.  Interestingly mine also ended up quite blue - maybe that's how it should be?  I often have a look at Adam Block's versions, with his high altitude he has virtually no light pollution to muddy the colours.  And in this case, his M64 is also quite blue

Cheers

Peter

A really excellent image Maurice.  I saw the same faint dust in a recent M64 I have imaged from home however did not have the best luminance or RGB data to lift it from the noise.

The faint blue is there and you have the tiny detail in the core.  Well done on a top image.

Archived