Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Obsy build for the summer...

fwm891

13 hours ago, JamesF said:

And there I was, waiting for the images to load, expecting Boris to be a spider :)

James

🤣

Every big spider that takes up residence in my house is christened Boris by my wife and I!

• Haha 1

Two days off then back to work on the obsy today: braces, DPC, some of the moisture barrier and one wall of shiplap. Need to modify a length at the bottom - reduce it's width and cut a drip groove in the bottom edge.

Hopefully do some more tomorrow...

Shiplap-01.jpg

• Like 1

Made a test rafter assembly this morning - that was OK so I've now made all the components for the other rafter assemblies (6 total). Now need to work on the ridge board. Photos show it without the wheels/track in place so finasl height will be about 25mm higher (1 inch) !

The long horizontal piece is just there to clamp to while I check around to make sure it sits on guide lines.

Trusses-01.jpg

Trusses-02.jpg

• Like 1

Francis, from the moment I saw your model and now seeing the construction, you appear to be a perfectionist, are you a skilled carpenter, as you certainly are making a very fine job of this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pleased with progress this morning. I had most of the components cut out to shape yesterday, just had to cut the housings in the ridge board this morning so things could begin to get assembled. I joined the rafters to the ridge board in the workshop and carried that out as an assembly. Then built each of the side assemblies, carried them out, cl;amped them in place and lifted the rafters onto them.

The roof frame over the door is different to the others but that will only get done once the track and wheels are in position and I can fit the frame clearances to the build.

I'll try and cut the track and make the wheel housings later today as they can be done in the workshop should the rain return...

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

... are you a skilled carpenter, as you certainly are making a very fine job of this?

I served a 4 year apprenticeship in woodmachining too many years ago to think about now before changing to photography. I like to keep my hand in with wood although timber of this size not often!

Trusses-03.jpg

Trusses-04.jpg

Trusses-05.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Francis, your 4 year apprenticeship certainly shows that you haven't lost that talent, simply beautiful to watch a craftsman make something from a model to this.

Do you fancy coming up to build mine, free coffee and biscuits 🙂

• Thanks 1

The wheel housing. The wheel sits inside a cut out from 100x47 (4x2) just bigger than it's profile. This housing then sits between two of the wall posts and held in place with a pair of heavy screws. If at some point I need to do any maintenance on the wheels I can just remove the housing without having to dismantle the obs to get at it. 

Trusses-06.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I can just hear the neighbours saying "That's a *huge* kennel he's building.  What sort of dog is he getting?!"

James

Only one that 'Boris' approves of I should think, cats do rule the roost 😀

Francis, this is an amazing quality build (to be expected from you as a skilled woodworker of course).
I look forward to the final completion and the scope install.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I can just hear the neighbours saying "That's a *huge* kennel he's building.  What sort of dog is he getting?!"

James

Imagine their relief when they discover it only contains a nocturnal hobbyist with [very] strange habits. :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JamesF said:

James

Why, he's getting and Old English Canis Major Hound of course.

• Like 1