Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Tomjo59

Time for a ‘scope change - question

Posted (edited)

I’m planning to sell my Orion Optics (UK) CT10L f6.3 Newtonian (on Dob mount), and replacing it with a Skywatcher 100 ED or a 120 ED refractor on an equatorial mount. The newt has served me well in the five years I’ve had it, but it’s getting a bit of a beast to carry out to the garden these days - age catches up with all of us eventually!

My question concerns the focussing mount on the Skywatchers, which I’ve read aren’t too good, especially if a camera is attached. I wanted to get some idea of how easy or difficult they are to replace.

Any advice appreciated.

Apologies for the formatting of this posting. Having problems formatting text on a tablet.

Edited by Tomjo59
Difficulty formatting post

I don't think an ed120 with it's mount will be easier to move than your 10". Perhaps the ed100 on a light alt-az mount will, but in both cases you 'll lose significant aperture, you're already used to, so more likely to miss it....

• Like 1

I've been using a 10" OO F6.3 Dob for the last couple of nights and find it an awkward affair to handle. By comparison my 120mm Equinox was a total joy to use. Even on DSO's the 120ED performed admirably, especially when a good level of dark adaption is attained. Star images are vastly superior in the ED compared to the 10" OO Dob and on the Moon and planets I doubt you'll be at all unhappy. The aperture of the 10" pays dividends with things like galaxies, but even then the 120ED can show plenty of them.

The focuser on my Equinox was adequate enough to hold my 31mm Nagler when the scope was aimed at the zenith, but for imaging you might need to replace it. They are easy to replace!

As an only scope the 120ED makes a powerful and capable easy to use scope that can compete with high end brands.

617851865_2019-02-0221_41_51.png.995818ea95f819daa2cb2aceb0c6afc1.png.57aae3e57ccbfedbee30d65dcae5f4e0.pngIMG_20160215_152832.JPG.3605d3dbf5f0f091bcebe2fe5a763e65.JPG.3a2cceec838434349b6adc566982ca4c.thumb.JPG.82acc6097a84a1a1c7b9abd664f672a6.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mike. I’ve come to the conclusion that as far as deep sky is concerned, visually, one faint fuzzy blob looks much like another.

I just think a good ED refractor will be better for my main objects of interest, planetary, lunar and solar - and much easier to move around. It would also suit webcam astrophotography of these subjects if I try it at a later date.

• Like 1

I have both a 200p newt and the equinox 120  and  much prefer the 120 I do have a permanent  set up so it does not answer you question about portability and set up . I only do imaging but can say I hang a focal reducer and 600d dslr on the original focuser without any problems. I love the equinox 120 and will never part with it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tomjo59 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that as far as deep sky is concerned, visually, one faint fuzzy blob looks much like another.

You wouldn't make a good dob salesman... :grin:

And for the record, each fuzzy blob has a unique shade of grey!

Kiddin - skies & aperture are key.

Edited by niallk
  • Like 1

Can’t fault your thinking. But, with the right finder, there is nothing easier than a Dob. Telrad/Decent Red Dot plus RACI of at least 60mm.

Paul

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, niallk said:

You wouldn't make a good dob salesman... :grin:

And for the record, each fuzzy blob has a unique shade of grey!

Kiddin - skies & aperture are key.

..... and a bigger scope. Yes. You did say that, but the bigger scope is important. I find a 1600mm fl Dob way easier to observe with than a long refractor.

Paul

• Like 1