Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The neat little NGC 2841

Shibby

Having only finished my first image of the year about a week ago, incredibly I now have a second one. We should try to remember that we do get decent weather in the UK sometimes after all!

NGC 2841 is a neat little galaxy in Ursa Major. I say little, but it's actually similar in size to the Milky Way. The tidy appearance suggests that it hasn't had any recent interactions with its neighbours and apparently has a low rate of star formation.

There's a nice variety of faint fuzzies in the background, which I particularly like about this area of the sky.

Capture

• L: 38x600s
  • RGB: 3 x 20x300s
  • Total: ~11hrs

Equipment

• SW MN190
  • Atik 460ex
  • AP Mach1GTO
  • Guiding: QHY5L-ii + 50mm finderguider

NGC2841.thumb.png.33006e49eae12264cad515102aa9478d.png

Nice image.     Only your second image !!   Wow....that's good.     Most of my first image results  either looked like a bad LSD experience or a poorly exposed "dark".

MN190  and an Atik 460 ......   that sounds like a great combo.   Maybe one day I'll take the plunge on a top end ATIK.

54 minutes ago, Craney said:

Only your second image !!   Wow....that's good.

*of the year* - my second ever image was awful! ?

Thanks though - yes I really like the combination of MN190/460ex.

Thanks! I thought I'd attach a 100% crop of the galaxy (0.94"/pixel) - which is fairly unforgiving for most images, especially mine.

NGC2841-crop.png.309b1b5e8dd07a61998809ff24b2f9c1.png

15 hours ago, wimvb said:

Just curious: how do you collimate the MN190?

The answer is infrequently and with a collimation cap :blush: - I have a laser collimator but have never used it. When I received the 'scope it was fortunately well collimated and I only adjusted the primary. Still happy with the collimation, although the 460ex isn't a huge sensor.

2 hours ago, Shibby said:

Thanks! I thought I'd attach a 100% crop of the galaxy (0.94"/pixel) - which is fairly unforgiving for most images, especially mine.

NGC2841-crop.png.309b1b5e8dd07a61998809ff24b2f9c1.png

The answer is infrequently and with a collimation cap :blush: - I have a laser collimator but have never used it. When I received the 'scope it was fortunately well collimated and I only adjusted the primary. Still happy with the collimation, although the 460ex isn't a huge sensor.

Very nice!

Archived