Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

gorann

NGC 5033 & NGC 5005 & a few others

Posted (edited)

Another short night of galaxy hunting with the Esprit 150 and ASI071(OSC). Managed to grab 30 x 10 min and 30 x 90 s, the latter to save the galaxy cores and large stars. I think it shows that a large refractor is an accomplished galaxy hunter even if I only got about 6 hours of data. The ASI 071 set at gain 200, offset 30, -15°C. Stacked in PI and processed mainly in PS.

I also include a rotated crop that makes NGC5033 looks quite different. Interesting how the orientation of an image transforms the appearance of galaxies.

Finally I include an annotated version made in PI. There is 38 galaxies in there, if I counted them right. Actually I can see quite a few faint fuzzies / galaxies in the image that are apparently not in the PGC catalogue and were not annotated.

20190331 NGC5005&5033 PS37smallSign.jpg

20190331 NGC5005&5033 PS42smallSign.jpg

20190331_NGC5005_5033_PS37 Annotated.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, cfpendock said:

Nice.

Chris

Thanks Chris!

31 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Absolute pukka mate. Really love your work.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated, although I am not sure what pukka means - sounds Finnish

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot, much appreciated, although I am not sure what pukka means - sounds Finnish

hahahahaha it means excellent in british slang :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

hahahahaha it means excellent in british slang :D

Interesting, Not many words in English, if any, are spelled with a double k rather than ck. Now I see that urbandictionary.com says

"It's a Hindi word popularized by Jamie Oliver. It literally means 'cooked', but when used in slang, it gives emphasis." 

So thanks again, I will try to produce more pukka images!

Very nice, the Esprit is ‘doing the business’, to coin another phrase, NGC 5033 is spectacular!

7 hours ago, gorann said:

Interesting, Not many words in English, if any, are spelled with a double k rather than ck.

Same in Swedish.

Very nice image, btw. Have you decided on a finale for astroseason yet? Only one short month of lrgb imaging left before shopping season begins.

9 hours ago, tomato said:

Very nice, the Esprit is ‘doing the business’, to coin another phrase, NGC 5033 is spectacular!

Thanks a lot! Much appreciated by me and the Esprit.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Same in Swedish.

Very nice image, btw. Have you decided on a finale for astroseason yet? Only one short month of lrgb imaging left before shopping season begins.

Thanks Wim! Now Thursday night looks promising here and all options are open, including those I do not know of yet. But it will involve galaxies.