Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Hi,

Anyone use one and had some decent results ? I have one with the b600, moonlight focuser, presure tuner and use a 178MM but find it pretty limiting in what I can pick up/see. I can just about get focus with a 2.25x barlow but even with this it's given me 1/3 of the disc you can't get really close in.

I have this too - works fine and I get good results. I swapped out the helical focuser for a moonlight and couldn't get focus visually or on my QHY5.

In the end and working with the guys at Moonlight, we determined that the replacement focuser was the wrong dimension. Lunt saiid they hadn't changed anything and Moonlight said they had had no previous problems; we never got to understand the reason.

They manufactured a different dimension focuser which works perfectly and as I understand it, you can select which one you want on their website.

07-47-26-205_AS_p50_e11111111_ap527_FC_conv.jpg

09-41-59-538-V2-repro-named.jpg

• Like 2

How did you get so close in on the first picture ?

Zoomed in during processing

• Like 1

I have been using a Lunt50 for a couple of years now. I find a X2.5 Powermate gives a reasonable image scale for a 12 pane mosaic.  A use a X3 Barlow sometimes for close ups, but generally the seeing is not good enough for any more.

A couple of shots from more exiting times than at the moment.

The first is a 12 pane mosaic, the 2nd a close up with a X2 Barlow of a huge prom structure.

754875305_2017_05.2312panemosaic.thumb.png.f41577d6147c073efde6d0574f3ca6b9.png

965846591_2015_09.30Massivepromam.png.6bf04c7b840f515475e8523645dfb2ce.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice images!

Pete, what capture settings do you use when using the powermate? What exposure length do you aim for? I can't find any info into whether it's better to lower the exposure time and increase gain, or increase exposure time and decrease gain.

Chris

I don't Barlow very much as I have a Hypercam 178 which has small pixels. I do have to remove the nose piece from the Lunt diagonal and replace it with a m42 to c thread adapter bought from Modern Astronomy. It's the thinnest one they do. I also replaced the helical focuser with a second hand Feathertouch single speed focuser which stops the focuser droop of the original focuser. I'm hoping to motorise it one day,

Have you got a link to the adapter ?

I'll try my best to link it, it's the low profile t to c mount adapter in accessories, adapters. I started with the slightly longer one but the focuser was all the way out and I wasn't sure I was completely in focus! This one focuses nearer the middle of the focuser range.https://www.modernastronomy.com/product-category/accessories/adapters/

Hopefully this has worked!

Anne

• Thanks 1

I also got some nice results (for the aperture), with a PGR Chameleon 3 mono camera (ICX445) and a 1.6x Barlow:

get.jpg?insecure

get.jpg?insecure

get.jpg?insecure

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:27, zicklurky said:

Nice images!

Pete, what capture settings do you use when using the powermate? What exposure length do you aim for? I can't find any info into whether it's better to lower the exposure time and increase gain, or increase exposure time and decrease gain.

Chris

My last 12 pane mosaic was captured with the follow settings, using FireCapture v2.4 software
Camera=DMK 21AU618.AS
Filter=X2.5Powermate
FPS (avg.)=43
Shutter=4.400ms
Gain=675
Limit=1000 Frames

This was to capture surface detail only, also you have to remember I am using a double stacked Lunt 50 as well. For proms the settings are significantly higher, depending on how bright the prom is.

when I have been using a Powermate + old "empty" barlow tube as an extension, with the ASI120mm screwed directly into the B600 diagonal.

409065904_2015_08.21Lunt50mmx2.5PowermateASI120mmfocus!.thumb.jpg.b79e0f516237a186851dd44908c0f812.jpg

On 04/04/2019 at 21:16, Pete Presland said:

My last 12 pane mosaic was captured with the follow settings, using FireCapture v2.4 software
Camera=DMK 21AU618.AS
Filter=X2.5Powermate
FPS (avg.)=43
Shutter=4.400ms
Gain=675
Limit=1000 Frames

This was to capture surface detail only, also you have to remember I am using a double stacked Lunt 50 as well. For proms the settings are significantly higher, depending on how bright the prom is.

when I have been using a Powermate + old "empty" barlow tube as an extension, with the ASI120mm screwed directly into the B600 diagonal.

409065904_2015_08.21Lunt50mmx2.5PowermateASI120mmfocus!.thumb.jpg.b79e0f516237a186851dd44908c0f812.jpg

Thanks! Oh interesting, I was using the powermate after the diagonal. Is it better to position it before the diagonal?

I use the Powermate after my BF15 diagonal. It's fitted with the T thread adaptor which screws directly into the camera (or the T2 tilter if needed)