Jump to content

stargazine_ep44_banner.thumb.jpg.6153c4d39ed5a64b7d8af2d3d6061f61.jpg

M100 in 4.5 Hrs, sort of...


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I made my own, holds WO110FLT triplet, FR plus CCD camera no bother, only cost about 30GBP in materials.

Dave

Nice, but how much did your machine tools cost or did you make it with just hand tools?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First light for the Twin TEC140! So the 4.5 Hrs netted 9 Hrs of data. In one an Atik 460 mono, in the other a Moravian G3 8300. Colour shot in the lower resolution 8300, L in the 460. All done and dus

Made the prototype with milling bits in a pillar drill then made some more using my son in laws CNC machine. Dave Top Top with ss cover plate Three of them mounted on the

I'm really not sure this image works, you know.  There are just far too many faint fuzzy blobs to make it all out properly. James

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, tomato said:

Nice, but how much did your machine tools cost or did you make it with just hand tools?

Made the prototype with milling bits in a pillar drill then made some more using my son in laws CNC machine.

Dave

Top

Adjuster-4.png.2e54150583cf925952b0bd641adb2f95.png

Top with ss cover plate

Adjuster-5.png.233980f3e2c123358bdd8bb78cf3b4de.png

Three of them mounted on the 10Micron GM1000
Middle one is for WO110FLT, small ones for WO Star71s

Adjuster-2.png.ea9915fba4ae9334c465d8db7ac2ac47.png

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gorann said:

Does anyone know if there is any more sturdy adjustment saddle on the market than the 9kg JTD? TS or Astroshop don't seem to sell any. Maybe one day I feel rich enough to put another esprit 150 next to mine.

ADM make one which looks remarkably like the original Cassady T-GAD. https://www.admaccessories.com/product/tgad-tandem-guiding-aiming-device-altaz-aiming-device-for-side-by-side-systems/ I am in the US at the moment and was idly looking for second hand Cassady’ on Astromart and discovered the news that ADM are producing them via that route. Unfortunately they are an eye watering $550 new - I dread to think how much it would cost to buy one in the U.K. - second mortgage territory?

Edited by MrsGnomus
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really not sure this image works, you know.  There are just far too many faint fuzzy blobs to make it all out properly.

:D

James

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Made the prototype with milling bits in a pillar drill then made some more using my son in laws CNC machine.

Dave

Three of them mounted on the 10Micron GM1000

Middle one is for WO110FLT, small ones for WO Star71

Impressive craftsmanship! This thread suggests it will be a market for them so......

By the way, why three - would not two be enough?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrsGnomus said:

ADM make one which looks remarkably like the original Cassady T-GAD. https://www.admaccessories.com/product/tgad-tandem-guiding-aiming-device-altaz-aiming-device-for-side-by-side-systems/ I am in the US at the moment and was idly looking for second hand Cassady’ on Astromart and discovered the news that ADM are producing them via that route. Unfortunately they are an eye watering $550 new - I dread to think how much it would cost to buy one in the U.K. - second mortgage territory?

I could not see any statement about payload capacity for the ADM. Is it sturdier than the JTD?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrsGnomus said:

ADM make one which looks remarkably like the original Cassady T-GAD. https://www.admaccessories.com/product/tgad-tandem-guiding-aiming-device-altaz-aiming-device-for-side-by-side-systems/ I am in the US at the moment and was idly looking for second hand Cassady’ on Astromart and discovered the news that ADM are producing them via that route. Unfortunately they are an eye watering $550 new - I dread to think how much it would cost to buy one in the U.K. - second mortgage territory?

As highlighted in this thread, if you have the space and time,  invest instead in some second hand good old pre CNC machine tools (lathe and milling machine) and teach yourself the skills, there are so many things you can make with them, not just astro gear.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MrsGnomus said:

ADM make one which looks remarkably like the original Cassady T-GAD. https://www.admaccessories.com/product/tgad-tandem-guiding-aiming-device-altaz-aiming-device-for-side-by-side-systems/ I am in the US at the moment and was idly looking for second hand Cassady’ on Astromart and discovered the news that ADM are producing them via that route. Unfortunately they are an eye watering $550 new - I dread to think how much it would cost to buy one in the U.K. - second mortgage territory?

That looks good.  My second hand T-GAD cost me 600 euros, so eye-watering it certainly was! Also it works so well that you only ever use it once, so to speak. Once aligned it stays so for a very long time indeed. I suppose this is why it's worth paying for but you somehow feel that needing to twiddle it from time to time would justify the price! Some people manage without one and align by patiently experimenting with shims etc. This is very worthy but, as with all my kit, I need to be as plug and play as possible for the sake of our guests. Losing alignment and needing a night to recover it is not an option.

Olly

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gorann said:

By the way, why three - would not two be enough?

I am attempting to run three WO Star71s at once or the WO110FLT.

As Olly said the commercial ones are over engineered and there's no need for all those big adjusting knobs and large adjustment range, simple bolts do the job and once set you leave well alone :grin:

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That looks good.  My second hand T-GAD cost me 600 euros, so eye-watering it certainly was! Also it works so well that you only ever use it once, so to speak. Once aligned it stays so for a very long time indeed. I suppose this is why it's worth paying for but you somehow feel that needing to twiddle it from time to time would justify the price! Some people manage without one and align by patiently experimenting with shims etc. This is very worthy but, as with all my kit, I need to be as plug and play as possible for the sake of our guests. Losing alignment and needing a night to recover it is not an option.

Maybe you should get one and thoroughly test it for the rest of us by putting your dual Tak rig back into action ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrsGnomus said:

Maybe you should get one and thoroughly test it for the rest of us by putting your dual Tak rig back into action ?

Fine! I have a regular supplier of second cameras for dual rigs. This one needs to be full frame with 2 inch filters... ? One good win in Las Vegas should cover it...

:Dlly

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Fine! I have a regular supplier of second cameras for dual rigs. This one needs to be full frame with 2 inch filters... ? One good win in Las Vegas should cover it...

No luck so far......we leave tomorrow for a couple of weeks touring - you will have to keep your fingers crossed for a big win when we get back here again....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.