Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

ollypenrice

M100 in 4.5 Hrs, sort of...

Recommended Posts

First light for the Twin TEC140! So the 4.5 Hrs netted 9 Hrs of data. In one an Atik 460 mono, in the other a Moravian G3 8300. Colour shot in the lower resolution 8300, L in the 460. All done and dusted in one night. Kit jointly put together my myself, Tom O'Donoghue and Steve Milne.

I think a second night would take this to the next level but this is a good taste of one night imaging.

1736371434_DUALTEC140WEB.jpg.7a28037b1c08b81dbcd96d79c0d62cfb.jpg

370669310_M1009HRDATAweb.thumb.jpg.2dc8966b2738910be3ace5ef6592139b.jpg

Now to process the 11.5 hours we captured on the Traco Triplet last night. I could get used to this!

Olly

 

 

 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very tasty set up Olly, all that data in half the amount of time, a dream come true and as always super impressive results.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great image Olly, and such a sweet setup!

ps - I'm intrigued by the green tube. Is it a super-long homemade dew shield made of foam? Instead of using a heated dew strap?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow, it is nice image and nice result. You have now 2 TEC 140 ?. It is good idea because you don't lose time and you can have shot with the Luminance with one refractor and doing the color in same time with the second refractor.

I should do the same thing but I have no idea if my wife would be happy or angry :) I can't imagine 2 TSA 120 ?

Edited by FranckiM06
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Great image Olly, and such a sweet setup!

ps - I'm intrigued by the green tube. Is it a super-long homemade dew shield made of foam? Instead of using a heated dew strap?

You have it, Ciaran. Not a thing of beauty but it works!

Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good, that's some rig. Plus you could donate the excess of green photons from the OSC camera to the needy. (Or have I misread, is the Moravian also a mono camera?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Looking good, that's some rig. Plus you could donate the excess of green photons from the OSC camera to the needy. (Or have I misread, is the Moravian also a mono camera?)

Both mono!

Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent image Olly and congratulations on your new double rig.  Who'd have thought you had a spare TEC140 lying around?

I am looking forward to seeing the emergence of some grand and deep projects ?.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking really good, both the rig and the data it is collecting.

But, I don’t know which winds me up more, images of the rig with the roof on, with bright sunshine blazing through the gaps, indicating a glorious cloudless sky outside, or when you post a photo with the roof off, which only confirms what I already knew, another night of uninterrupted imaging coming up.

When I have the dual rig put together, I vow to only post a picture of it against a perfect azure backdrop.☺️

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tomato said:

Looking really good, both the rig and the data it is collecting.

But, I don’t know which winds me up more, images of the rig with the roof on, with bright sunshine blazing through the gaps, indicating a glorious cloudless sky outside, or when you post a photo with the roof off, which only confirms what I already knew, another night of uninterrupted imaging coming up.

When I have the dual rig put together, I vow to only post a picture of it against a perfect azure backdrop.☺️

Of course I do offer a discount to guests who agree to post only azure blue daytime skies here! I mean this kind of thing is entirely unknown, right?

spacer.png

:Dlly

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very impressive Olly...  glad its working well... How much discount do you offer ?…   I

Dave

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Of course I do offer a discount to guests who agree to post only azure blue daytime skies here! I mean this kind of thing is entirely unknown, right?

spacer.png

:Dlly

And its extra for Mamutus clouds

Tom

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fabulous image Olly.... and very impressed (and not a little envious) about the rig!

Only problem now is you'll be short or processing time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a few minor tweaks to colour and background...

1371636724_M1009HRDATAV2.thumb.jpg.ad7890f73ea5d94714861dfa9957829a.jpg

Olly

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great start Olly! Have you added that second night of data yet?

A minor issue and it may only be my screen but I see a green tone centrally in the galaxies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, gorann said:

Great start Olly! Have you added that second night of data yet?

A minor issue and it may only be my screen but I see a green tone centrally in the galaxies.

I saw this as well and tried to tone it down without going too magenta. On my screen I think it's almost OK but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this. The other image was also a bit tricky on the green channel despite SCNR. Both the camera and the filters are new to me (indeed so is this edition of the scope) so a bit of experimenting is called for.

Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good! I have a question about the TEC140 on the JTD adjustment saddle - the spec says payload 9kg, but the TEC 140 + flatterner + camera etc will be above this.

Have you noticed any issues with it?

Both are on my shopping list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I saw this as well and tried to tone it down without going too magenta. On my screen I think it's almost OK but it would be nice to get to the bottom of this. The other image was also a bit tricky on the green channel despite SCNR. Both the camera and the filters are new to me (indeed so is this edition of the scope) so a bit of experimenting is called for.

Olly

Yes that green seems a bit tricky to get rid of while avoiding magenta. However, now I could not stop myself from giving it a try by suppressing the green curve and at the same time increasing the total (RGB) curve to compensate for the loss of brightness. The overall result was more magenta so I then I applied this layer selectively using the brush tool on the green areas (including some greenish stars inside M100).

Sorry for messing with your image and I am sure I may have broken a few puristic rules doing these manipulations.

Skärmavbild 2019-04-03 kl. 12.56.21.png

2024069621_M1009HRDATAV2 copy.jpg

Edited by gorann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Looking good! I have a question about the TEC140 on the JTD adjustment saddle - the spec says payload 9kg, but the TEC 140 + flatterner + camera etc will be above this.

Olly is using the Cassidy T-GAD as the adjustment saddle not the JTD saddle. Not sure what the payload is for the T-GAD as they are no longer being manufactured (the guy who machined them has retired).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ok....the JTD version although good, will probably be overkill, as for a fixed installation, the adjustment range is probably too much.

Once set, fit and forget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

Olly is using the Cassidy T-GAD as the adjustment saddle not the JTD saddle. Not sure what the payload is for the T-GAD as they are no longer being manufactured (the guy who machined them has retired).

 

7 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Ah ok....the JTD version although good, will probably be overkill, as for a fixed installation, the adjustment range is probably too much.

Once set, fit and forget.

Does anyone know if there is any more sturdy adjustment saddle on the market than the 9kg JTD? TS or Astroshop don't seem to sell any. Maybe one day I feel rich enough to put another esprit 150 next to mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. You now have even more sky-hours than the rest of us! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gorann said:

 

Does anyone know if there is any more sturdy adjustment saddle on the market than the 9kg JTD? TS or Astroshop don't seem to sell any. Maybe one day I feel rich enough to put another esprit 150 next to mine.

I looked for one and all I could find was an Optec Libra which just can’t handle large scopes. It went back for a refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gorann said:

Does anyone know if there is any more sturdy adjustment saddle on the market than the 9kg JTD? TS or Astroshop don't seem to sell any. Maybe one day I feel rich enough to put another esprit 150 next to mine.

I made my own, holds WO110FLT triplet, FR plus CCD camera no bother, only cost about 30GBP in materials.

Dave

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.