Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A New Page in the stars.

Kronos831

So,after observing in my backyard for a month + (visible targets only in orion taurus auriga and monocerus) , i ve decided to start observing from my front yard.Now ,i see a whole new sky Ursa Major Leo, Virgo and more.A week ago , was the first time i saw a galaxy.To be exact,m81,m82 and m64.I cannot describe what i felt when i took a look throught the eyepiece,i was amazed.Even though they were just faint fuzzies with no detail whatsoever,it was magestic. Then, i tried to observe m51 and m101,with no results.I ve read reports that m51 is a quite bright and obvious galaxy .If so,why cant i see it? Also,can anybody give me advice as to what to observe in and near ursa major?I ve made my own star charts for M81 M82 and M64 and now need more to further advance my Views of the messier objects.Thanks

Kronos

On 01/04/2019 at 11:38, Kronos831 said:

So,after observing in my backyard for a month + (visible targets only in orion taurus auriga and monocerus) , i ve decided to start observing from my front yard.Now ,i see a whole new sky Ursa Major Leo, Virgo and more.A week ago , was the first time i saw a galaxy.To be exact,m81,m82 and m64.I cannot describe what i felt when i took a look throught the eyepiece,i was amazed.Even though they were just faint fuzzies with no detail whatsoever,it was magestic. Then, i tried to observe m51 and m101,with no results.I ve read reports that m51 is a quite bright and obvious galaxy .If so,why cant i see it? Also,can anybody give me advice as to what to observe in and near ursa major?I ve made my own star charts for M81 M82 and M64 and now need more to further advance my Views of the messier objects.Thanks

Kronos

Sweeping slowly down through Virgo and Coma Berenices at low to medium magnifications should reveal a bounty of galaxies even if you just move around aimlessly. The globular cluster M3 in Canes Venatici is a favourite in higher magnifications, would definitely try to go for that one.

Personally I cannot recommend a good deep sky atlas highly enough when it comes to locating objects with an unpowered scope. I use Interstellarum myself and am very pleased. I’d go so far as to say I would be more or less lost without it.

Archived