Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Kronos831

A New Page in the stars.

So,after observing in my backyard for a month + (visible targets only in orion taurus auriga and monocerus) , i ve decided to start observing from my front yard.Now ,i see a whole new sky Ursa Major Leo, Virgo and more.A week ago , was the first time i saw a galaxy.To be exact,m81,m82 and m64.I cannot describe what i felt when i took a look throught the eyepiece,i was amazed.Even though they were just faint fuzzies with no detail whatsoever,it was magestic. Then, i tried to observe m51 and m101,with no results.I ve read reports that m51 is a quite bright and obvious galaxy .If so,why cant i see it? Also,can anybody give me advice as to what to observe in and near ursa major?I ve made my own star charts for M81 M82 and M64 and now need more to further advance my Views of the messier objects.Thanks

Kronos

• Like 2

On 01/04/2019 at 11:38, Kronos831 said:

So,after observing in my backyard for a month + (visible targets only in orion taurus auriga and monocerus) , i ve decided to start observing from my front yard.Now ,i see a whole new sky Ursa Major Leo, Virgo and more.A week ago , was the first time i saw a galaxy.To be exact,m81,m82 and m64.I cannot describe what i felt when i took a look throught the eyepiece,i was amazed.Even though they were just faint fuzzies with no detail whatsoever,it was magestic. Then, i tried to observe m51 and m101,with no results.I ve read reports that m51 is a quite bright and obvious galaxy .If so,why cant i see it? Also,can anybody give me advice as to what to observe in and near ursa major?I ve made my own star charts for M81 M82 and M64 and now need more to further advance my Views of the messier objects.Thanks

Kronos

Sweeping slowly down through Virgo and Coma Berenices at low to medium magnifications should reveal a bounty of galaxies even if you just move around aimlessly. The globular cluster M3 in Canes Venatici is a favourite in higher magnifications, would definitely try to go for that one.

Personally I cannot recommend a good deep sky atlas highly enough when it comes to locating objects with an unpowered scope. I use Interstellarum myself and am very pleased. I’d go so far as to say I would be more or less lost without it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Joaquim Q
      Hi, i..m on Stargazers Lounge for long time ago, but now i have a new scope at last!!! The scope is a Skywatcher classic200p dobsonian, and i received it just one month ago. I.m really happy with it. For now, i.m using the stock eyepieces that come with the scope, a 25mm and 10mm super plossl 52. Yesterday i was received a Celestron Omni barlow, and that expands my magnification range. I posted some pics with my set. 
      Congratulations to Stargazers lounge team, this is one of the best sites to learn about astronomy and equipment. 
      Besf regards to everybody 

• By Per_jensen
      This one didnt quite go as planned, i think i might have tried to overcorrect for alot of things during post processing, but i might as well share it with you guys anyways. Then again, perhaps i've just stared too much at it during processing.. Anyways, i hope you like it
      m81 & m82 LRGB
      L 74 frames of 180s = 222 min
      R 41 frames of 180s = 123 min
      G 40 frames of 180s = 120 min
      B 38 frames of 180s = 114 min
      Total int. 9,6 hours
      8" Reflecltor telescope
      ZWO ASI 1600mm camera
      Eq6-R Pro mount
      L  74 frames of 180s = 222 min
      R  41 frames of 180s = 123 min
      G  40 frames of 180s = 120 min
      B  38 frames of 180s = 114 min
      Total int. 9,6 hours

• By floastro
      Hi guys,
      This is the first lights of my ASA 12"N f/3.62 (purchased in 2007) with my Moravian G4-16000 CCD camera using one KAF-16803 chip of 36mm x 36mm (4K x 4K).
      The adjustments, collimation, ASA OK3-Z pression screws, asked a lot of attention.
      For a precise collimation, i use the CATSEYE XL & XLKP kit.
      This is the first 3hrs of exposures taken the last weekend in one night. The second night was too windy unfortunately.

Full Resolution image in 4K x 4K here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/integration_NGC4438_DBE_3HDR_CompositeAplatie2_Spikes2-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

Full Resolution Annotated image here :
      http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/NGC4438_new_image_Annotated.jpg

All the information below :

Enjoy !
      Florent ?
    • By Mezz
      Hi,
      I am going to buy my first telescope and I can't make up my mind with the focal ratio. I have seen this two option within my budget
      Skywatcher 130/1000 eq2 with a f/7.7 ratio
      Meade 130 Polaris EQ with 650 mm focal length and f/5 ratio.
      I read that a f/7.7 would be better to watch planets while f/5 would be better to watch galaxies and nebulae and will also give a brighter image.

As I am new and never looked through a telescope like those I don't know which to choose. The idea of looking at galaxies really excited me but I also wanted to see planets such as Jupiter or Saturn and it's moons, and at the moment I am not considering photography as I still need to get familiar with the telescope but in the future I would love to take some photos so brightness could be important.
      My question is how much difference would I noticed between these two focal ratio when I looked at planets and galaxies. Would I get a much better view of Saturn with a f/7.7 or not really?
      Thanks in advance for your advices
    • By Star101
      Work in progress
      Started this Saturday night. I love these galaxies and been wanting to image them a long time. 
      So far, only 30 x 60s L and 10 x 60s RGB. 
      C11 with focal reducer (1760mm), ASI183mm Pro. Astrodon filters. Mesu 200. Pixinsight.
      Thanks for looking
      Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.