SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSS: photos saved in various formats problems, please advise

Hello, I am brand new to astrophotography. Please help me learn.

This week I, for the first time, processed star photos with DSS. After processing, DSS gives the option of saving the end result (stacked) as TIFF or FITS file. Under each, it has option of 16 bit, 32bit integer or 32 bit rational. I don't really know the difference. I tried to save it as each of those. For FITS the response was "no items matched your search". I was able to save the 3 versions of the TIFF. I noticed that the three show different results. If I open the files in DSS, they all look the same but when opened in Photoshop or in Windows viewer the TIFF integer has weird colored pixilation (the stars themselves are colored and squared with holes etc)  while other two look right and same. Please advise. Thanks.

2019-03-29 fort griffin 16b.TIF 2019-03-29 fort griffin 32int.TIF 2019-03-29 fort griffin 32rat.TIF

Hi, ju1234, and welcome to SGL.

I just used 16-bit, but to some extent it depends on what you are starting with and what you intend to do next.

If AP is your passion, you should get a copy of this book. Loads of great advice that will save you time, money and heartache in the long run.

Enjoy the journey.

To save as a FITS file you may need to type a file name in, DSS should then be able to save then.

Which format you save in depends, as Demonperformer says,  on what software you are going to use next to process the image.  Many will cope with 16 bit per channel tiff, fewer with 32 bit tiff.  My preference is 16 bits per channel fits because that's what my post processing software (Startools) seems happiest with.

DSS is often said to be a great piece of free stacking software but its post processing abilities are limited and you may want to investigate some of the other offerings which range from free (GIMP, for example)  through moderately priced (eg Startools) to more expensive - Astroart, Astro pixel processor, PixInsight, Photoshop.   

Edited by almcl