Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

peter shah

NGC 4747 & 4725

Posted (edited)

NGC4747 and 4725 in LRGB Grabbed this pair of galaxies 4x600s in each LRGB. I need to get some fresh flats and do some longer subs to get the full extension of the galaxies. Imaged from my garden with my AG12  and H35.

Also caught the ISS flying over too while imaging on the Observatory Cam.

Thanks for looking.

NGC4747 and 4725 2.jpg

NGC4747_and_4725_2_Annotated.jpg

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 22

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Tzetze said:

Stunning image!

Great image.

Tzetze, love the avatar as well. Brings back endless time free days playing Elite.

Edited by Hughsie
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Tzetze, love the avatar as well. Brings back endless time free days playing Elite.

The old MkIII is a comfy ride, Commander Hughsie.

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone for the comments ...I am going to continue grabbing frames for this if the weather lets me.

1 hour ago, Tzetze said:

The old MkIII is a comfy ride, Commander Hughsie.

Mike I spent hours playing Elite on the old C64

Top class work as always Peter. What you do with small amounts of data is simply incredible. 

In fact, if you never included the exposure details on your images, i think most of us would assume that about 10 x times as much exposure went into them. 

Bravo! 

1 hour ago, Xiga said:

Top class work as always Peter. What you do with small amounts of data is simply incredible. 

In fact, if you never included the exposure details on your images, i think most of us would assume that about 10 x times as much exposure went into them. 

Bravo! 

Thank you Ciarán,  Its a case of having to get the most out of what you are able to get as large data sets are rare in the UK. I do have a work flow I stick to. Key is good calibration frames, although I never use dark's just rely on dithered exposures and reject stacking to reduce the noise. Very careful curve stretches measuring key areas in the image trying to tease out the signal. Most importantly is not to try and do too much in one go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

Mike I spent hours playing Elite on the old C64

Seeing Elite for the first time on an Acorn Electron blew my 12 year old mind. Later, played many hours on a 464.

But hey, at least we didn't waste our time.

• Like 1

I totally agree. These days it's hard for me to get more than a few hrs on anything. I also agree on the Darks & Dithering point. Even though i'm only using a DSLR, my own workflow involves a BPM, no Darks, aggressive dithering and a good rejection algorithm in stacking. It gets rid of a lot of noise. Even though my own workflow is not set in stone (being a mostly PS guy it tends to be a little bit different every time) I try to do the same in processing too, lots of small changes and no big ones. Which is why i usually end up with a Processing-to-Imaging ratio of about 5:1. So just as well that i can't manage 25 hrs on anything or i'd have to quit the day job! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xiga said:

I totally agree. These days it's hard for me to get more than a few hrs on anything. I also agree on the Darks & Dithering point. Even though i'm only using a DSLR, my own workflow involves a BPM, no Darks, aggressive dithering and a good rejection algorithm in stacking. It gets rid of a lot of noise. Even though my own workflow is not set in stone (being a mostly PS guy it tends to be a little bit different every time) I try to do the same in processing too, lots of small changes and no big ones. Which is why i usually end up with a Processing-to-Imaging ratio of about 5:1. So just as well that i can't manage 25 hrs on anything or i'd have to quit the day job! ?

Here is a single frame uncalibrated  to give you an idea of the sort of signal I'm getting from 1x600s binned 1x1. Iv'e only done curves stretches in Photoshop. F3.8 with 9un pixels

n4747-001L.jpg

• Like 1

Peter.

I did comment on this image earlier,must have forgotton to hit submit.

Its an exerllent image,it really is.

Mick.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Here is a single frame uncalibrated  to give you an idea of the sort of signal I'm getting from 1x600s binned 1x1. Iv'e only done curves stretches in Photoshop. F3.8 with 9un pixels

n4747-001L.jpg

Really interesting to see what a raw uncalibrated sub looks like with that gear, so thanks for sharing that Peter! And in actual fact, it makes the final result all the more impressive!

Sorry if we're getting a bit off-topic now - but i see your camera has biiiiig pixels. So you're getting loads of photons from your scope, and then you have these big pixel wells, which i assume explains why your stars always look so good (processing aside of course!). The norm these days seems to be CMOS cameras with smaller and smaller pixels (which i think is ok if you have a smaller FL scope) but i see now that your imaging scale is about 1.63", which must be close to optimum for UK skies anyway, so you've absolutely done a great job on choosing your gear. 

Keep the images coming! ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Peter.

I did comment on this image earlier,must have forgotton to hit submit.

Its an exerllent image,it really is.

Mick.

Thank you Mick

Wow ? you never fail to impress with your images. Thanks for sharing ????

• Thanks 1

There aren't any words to describe how amazing this image is Peter. Job well done brother

• Thanks 1

Completely inspiring image Peter, I try and follow your recommendations for curve stretching to squeeze out the maximum colours in an image - you are however one of the masters of the dark arts we have on this forum - thank you for sharing

Bryan

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Wow ? you never fail to impress with your images. Thanks for sharing ????

3 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

There aren't any words to describe how amazing this image is Peter. Job well done brother

27 minutes ago, bdlbug said:

Completely inspiring image Peter, I try and follow your recommendations for curve stretching to squeeze out the maximum colours in an image - you are however one of the masters of the dark arts we have on this forum - thank you for sharing

Bryan

Thank you for your kind words chaps :thumbsup: