OK this time I am really going to build that observatory

old_eyes

I have thought about it for some time, and even drawn up some plans, but last week's imaging session convinced me that I do really have to build an observatory.

At the moment I lug all the equipment out and set up at the beginning of one of those rare clear nights, and then strike it all down at the end. Even though I don't have a large mount, it is heavy and awkward to lift everything in and out of the house. Then there is polar aligning (thank you PoleMaster), balancing, getting the scope GOTO aligned, calibrating PHD2 and so on. If everything works out I am ready to roll in about an hour.

If there is a frustrating problem with a lead or software it can be longer.

This time PHD2 was unhappy with the calibration and the guiding was all over the place. Turned out the polar align was now off by quite a way. Did I make a mistake with PoleMaster, did I knock the mount, did the polar align move because I had not locked the adjustment properly, did one of the tripod leg extensions slip because I had not tightened the lock enough - who knows? So I had to start all over again.

Then, of course, the clouds rolled in and it was time to take everything back into the house.

No fun at all. The problem is I am starved of imaging time so I am always in a hurry to get started when a decent night presents itself. There are things I know I should sort out, such as getting the camera orthogonal to the scope optical axis, making sure the imaging plane is flat and not curved, sorting out the focuser so I know I am not getting slip, but these all take time from trying to take pictures.

So, this years' promise to myself is that this summer I will set up an observatory so that I can save a lot of the faffing around. I am hoping by publicly announcing my intention I will force myself to do it rather than think about it. I hope you will all keep me honest !?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good strategy. I did something very similar back in January for my list of Astro DIY projects. Surprisingly, I knocked a couple of the smaller projects off quite quickly. The obsey has to wait until after nesting season as a tree needs to come down before construction can begin.

Paul

Don't go for the Mount Palomar straight away.    Have a simple design that is light years ahead of what you do now..... but build in a future proof aspect so you can make it even better at a later date.....  

ie... have a roll=off shed of a generous size,  enjoy that......then lock the base and make the roof roll off...... enjoy that ...... then build a warm room and really enjoy that.

1 hour ago, Craney said:

Don't go for the Mount Palomar straight away.    Have a simple design that is light years ahead of what you do now..... but build in a future proof aspect so you can make it even better at a later date.....  

Sage advice. I'm hoping to go for a 'standard' roll-off roof design based on the many fine examples on SGL. @ollypenrice has several obs that show functionality is more important than refinement, but I suspect there is a lot more skill in his designs than he lets on.

I’m in total agreement with your conclusion, it seems downright criminal to me to have to spend time dismantling and packing away under a clear dark sky, rather than flick a few switches and lock up.

Just need to retire and relocate first, but hope to have broken ground on the construction before summer is over and the nights start to lengthen.

Wish I would have built one before becoming disabled, now it will cost 5 times as much with the cost of contractors and I have 5x less money being on disability pension.

Last night first clear night in days the wind was cranking at 20 notts so I hid just inside the garage door limiting my sky to a 60x40° sweep at the horizon facing west, although I think it's awesome how much there is to see through even a small window of sky the wind itself less important than the windchill it brings on winter nights were an obsy would have me contending with only the actual temperature and I'd likely be out many more nights...

I say go for it, too many reasons not to.

Best of Luck with your Observatory and Clear Skies of course ?

Freddie...

24 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Sage advice. I'm hoping to go for a 'standard' roll-off roof design based on the many fine examples on SGL. @ollypenrice has several obs that show functionality is more important than refinement, but I suspect there is a lot more skill in his designs than he lets on.

That's very kind of you but I wouldn't bet on it!!!

I think mobile or temporary imagers are heroic and I couldn't do it. Getting started can feel hard enough with an observatory, let alone without one. 

:Dlly

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's very kind of you but I wouldn't bet on it!!!

I think mobile or temporary imagers are heroic and I couldn't do it. Getting started can feel hard enough with an observatory, let alone without one. 

:Dlly

If there were more clear nights, I'd be in very good shape by now. The HEQ5+Tripod+5Kg weight is something like 28KG to hug-lift, and a very awkward shape.

An observatory would be a godsend, but I doubt my dad would let me ruin his garden.

14 hours ago, pipnina said:

An observatory would be a godsend, but I doubt my dad would let me ruin his garden.

Marketing and sales begin with first persuading youreslf so you are off to a bad start here! Let's try that phrase again: I'm sure my dad would like me to enhance his garden with an observatory...

(I've never been a salesman but I used to be a teacher and they are one and the same job in the end...)

?lly

The best money I have spent on anything to do with astroimaging was on a basic, simple micro-obsy.

The whole thing cost less than a grand and transformed my enjoyment of the hobby/obsession/illness

It doesn't have to be rocket science and there is a wealth of information on this forum and many people able and willing to help.

Two bits of advice - dont skimp on the concrete block and make any cable ducting twice as big as you think you will need

You can see why here !!!  - https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/micro-observatory

You start your journey as I'm just finishing mine! Last night I did my first set up in an observatory I have been building this year. I estimate it used to take about an hour to get my mobile rig set up (sometimes more) then another 2 hours finding targets if you haven't got goto! Now it is in the order of 5 minutes to be imaging. 

I'm glad I spent a few years without all the kit because I now fully appreciate all the benefits that come from it. Would I go back? No way!!

It also doesn't have to look like an old shed. You can make it more of a feature to positively enhance the garden. Mine's a roll-away Tardis replica. I reckon there are all sorts of alternatives: mock castle, sentry-box, etc.

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

hobby/obsession/illness

Ain't that the case!

To go back to the original poster I had exactly the same experience last year and it drove me crackers. I think you're exactly right. I put up a shed as per the link below and haven't looked back. It's brilliant!

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Marketing and sales begin with first persuading youreslf so you are off to a bad start here! Let's try that phrase again: I'm sure my dad would like me to enhance his garden with an observatory...

(I've never been a salesman but I used to be a teacher and they are one and the same job in the end...)

?lly

Well, he already wants a tool shed. Maybe I can propose an "extension"

3 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Ain't that the case!

To go back to the original poster I had exactly the same experience last year and it drove me crackers. I think you're exactly right. I put up a shed as per the link below and haven't looked back. It's brilliant!

Nice observatory. If only it would really only take 5 minutes! Fine production values too.

On 31/03/2019 at 16:22, old_eyes said:

So, this years' promise to myself is that this summer I will set up an observatory so that I can save a lot of the faffing around. I am hoping by publicly announcing my intention I will force myself to do it rather than think about it. I hope you will all keep me honest !?

Do it! The amount of time it saves is immense, and if it does start to rain, packing up is quicker too. My obsy also doubles as a 'man cave' too- HiFi, radio shack, BBQ etc.

There are some excelent builds in the DIY section- have a look. My only advice is to go as big as you can to allow for maximum flexibility.

1 hour ago, laser_jock99 said:

Do it! The amount of time it saves is immense, and if it does start to rain, packing up is quicker too. My obsy also doubles as a 'man cave' too- HiFi, radio shack, BBQ etc.

There are some excelent builds in the DIY section- have a look. My only advice is to go as big as you can to allow for maximum flexibility.

I have the space, so the challenge is to come up with something big enough for my ambition (Keck perhaps) and small enough that I might actually do it. There are great threads from some master builders. So much to choose from. Decisions, decisions!

21 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

The best money I have spent on anything to do with astroimaging was on a basic, simple micro-obsy.

The whole thing cost less than a grand and transformed my enjoyment of the hobby/obsession/illness

It doesn't have to be rocket science and there is a wealth of information on this forum and many people able and willing to help.

Two bits of advice - dont skimp on the concrete block and make any cable ducting twice as big as you think you will need

You can see why here !!!  - https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/micro-observatory

Yep, the cable ducting is something I have to get right. It is about 55m from the nearest power access point to the probable location. I don't want to have to dig that up again!

Archived