Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Tzetze

1st attempt at LRGB - M81

Hello.  =]

I captured some luminance data on M81 during last crescent moon, but didn't manage to get any rgb data until a couple of days ago.

I reworked a much softer version of the luminance as previous attempt was heavily overcooked. I'm not sure if I've still been a little heavy handed with the luminance processing. Also found it quite difficult to arrive at a final luminosity and saturation I could feel happy with.

For a first attempt at LRGB processing, I'm very pleased with this result. I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement however!

I stacked;

9x900s lum 1x1

9x225s rgb 2x2

15x darks, bias and flats.

Data was captured through Astrodon LRGB using 460ex with a 10" Newt on NEQ6. Stacked and processed in Pixinsight.

766076448_M81270319Final.thumb.png.1357bcc3bacbde268671f40bfc7caa2d.png

• Like 37

Thank you both, Peter and Richard. I'm glad you think so.

That is indeed a very beautiful image! It does not look overcooked at all. Congrats!

Thank you Gorann, Michael and Clive. Your comments are very encouraging!

Thank you both very much, Sean and souls33k3r!

Stunning result! Your first LRGB? The colour balance looks great, I wish I could process my own LRGB data this well.

Wow, that’s a phenomenal result for a first LRGB image, you clearly have it sussed from day 1.?

Thank you Lewis and Tomato.

Colour calibration is something I've worked on previously when processing DSLR images taken through an LPS filter. I simply used the same technique on the RGB image while still in its linear form. I have to give thanks to Harry of Harry's Astro Shed and his excellent tutorial videos on Pixinsight processing.

Hi

wow wish my first go was this good :)

glad the old vids still help as well

Harry

• Like 1

For a first attempt this is outstanding!

23 hours ago, Tzetze said:

I simply used the same technique on the RGB image while still in its linear form. I have to give thanks to Harry of Harry's Astro Shed and his excellent tutorial videos on Pixinsight processing.

Seems I need to read some more tutorials or finally invest in Pixinsight - I still find colour balance tricky with PS.

6 hours ago, harry page said:

Hi

wow wish my first go was this good :)

glad the old vids still help as well

Harry

Now I can thank you in person, Harry. Your vids have been, and continue to be, invaluable! Thanks.  =]

6 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

For a first attempt this is outstanding!

Thank you, Michael.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Shibby said:

Seems I need to read some more tutorials or finally invest in Pixinsight - I still find colour balance tricky with PS.

Pixinsight is essential kit, in my opinion. I have little experience of PS, though I know there is a lot of fantastic work done with it. After trialling PI, I found PS to be too convoluted at every step and lacking in it's toolset.

I can't compare to colour balancing in PS, but with PI it  really comes down to being as simple as zeroing in on the fine tuning of a single parameter with easy to read/judge abstracted results.

Edited by Tzetze

For a first attempt at LRGB processing, I'm very pleased with this result.

I'd be happy with that for any attempt, let alone a first attempt.

Cracking image and processing.

Carole 

• Like 1

Agree with everyone - very nicely captured and your processing has produced a wonderfully natural result.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:59, Shibby said:

Stunning result! Your first LRGB? The colour balance looks great, I wish I could process my own LRGB data this well.

I am trying to get to grips with PI - my experience of it is a bit up and down* thus far but there is no doubt that it is very useful for colour balancing.  There is a good photometric calibration tool that plate solves your image and applies a user selected colour balance which does a terrific job on galaxies in particular.

* I haven't found PI too much of steep learning curve thanks to Harry's tutorials and those from a couple of others.  It is, by it's very nature, complex because of the number of user variable and parameters (though generally it seems the defaults are a good starting point) but it is a little idiosyncratic.  That said, I'm coming to end of my evaluation period and I'm still trying to bottom out calibration, alignment and integration! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carastro said:

I'd be happy with that for any attempt, let alone a first attempt.

Cracking image and processing.

Carole 

12 hours ago, x6gas said:

Agree with everyone - very nicely captured and your processing has produced a wonderfully natural result.

Thanks very much, Carole and x6gas.   =]

Really nice, I needed a good one to strive for, doubt I’ll come close, but nice to have motivation.

On 06/04/2019 at 06:24, Brian Maurer said:

Really nice, I needed a good one to strive for, doubt I’ll come close, but nice to have motivation.

Thank you Brian. Such a lovely compliment that someone could find this work as motivational. I look forward to seeing your own work on the subject.