Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William Optics 73mm APO OTA - 1st impressions

fwm891

4 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Have to say , I absolutely love WO stuff .. it’s quality through and through . I’m waiting for an ADM saddle for my AZ-GTi  because I don’t want to Mark the dovetail lol ( these scopes need to be cared for lol) 

I agree! I've done both mono and colour imaging with mine and optically it's outstanding for a doublet. I'm glad I didn't spend more on a triplet!

On 30/12/2020 at 22:37, AstroM1 said:

Hi All!

Hi Francis (fwm891). Thank for your very well detail post. I recently bought myself a WO ZS73 and your comment and review helped me to confirm my choice. As you previous mount, I have a Star Adventurer pro. Since I solidified the wedge (added a chim in the alt gear), my setup is more stable. I also image with a Nikon D5100.

But, I am curious to know if you can give me some advices on how to use/optimize my new refractor and my current setup.  Did you had issue with cleaning your lens? Did you do any maintenance on your WO ZS73? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Marc

Hi @AstroM1 Apologies for the late reply. If your imaging with the D5100 then to get clean stars right across the frame you will need a field flattener (I use the adjustable version and set as the manual (11.4mm) on it's engraved scale.)

I have not cleaned the lens but I do use a dew heater strap so no moisture builds up on the front element. When not in use I keep the cap on to minimise dust spiders etc...

I do keep the focuser rack clean with an old tooth brush to stop a build up of dirt/dust etc and a little furniture wax on the rack to reduce friction. Plus a damp cloth occassionally on the outside to remove airbourn muck.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/03/2021 at 09:24, Stu1smartcookie said:

Reviving this thread after a couple of months ,... i have just repurchased a ZS73 ... Can someone  please advise  me if i can mount a finders shoe on the scope ( there are two pairs of Allen headed screws that i can install it ( on the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position ) Hope that makes sense 

Stu

Hi Stu, simple answer is yes you can. I have a red dot finder attached to show using those attachment points which leaves the handle as the mount point for my guide scope 😁

hope that helps 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coriorda said:

Hi Stu, simple answer is yes you can. I have a red dot finder attached to show using those attachment points which leaves the handle as the mount point for my guide scope 😁

hope that helps 

it certainly helps ... unfortunately i had a change of track and someone bought my scope , although i , being the impetuous type , will probably buy another one in the future . 

:)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Coming late to the party, anyone tried the Flat73R reducer with a full-frame camera? I have a 6D and a nikon Z6, if the specifications are correct and the full frame borders are free of distortions, this little scope could be a great F/4.8 companion.