Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A (ring- or spiral-bound ideally) moon atlas?

I’ve been enjoying the moon sections of Turn Left at Orion, especially as it’s an object that doesn’t depend on particularly pristine dark skies. The book’s little tours are fun but I’ve now got a hankering for a good set of reference maps I can use when I spot an interesting feature. I do own a Philips map but it’s more suitable for a wall than next to a telescope.

Is there a good reference book for this? Something ring bound or spiral bound would be ideal for using next to my telescope but that’s not mandatory.

Thanks in advance!

"21st Century Atlas of the Moon" by Charles A. Wood and Maurice J. S. Collins; West Virginia University Press 26506. Spiral bound, opens flat. Contains a wealth of information and excellent photographies, including e.g. the limb regions and all the Lunar 100 objects. Very recommendable!

Stephan

• Like 5

I forgot to mention, if you can't find the Times Atlas of the Moon you can still enjoy its artful maps here: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/mapcatalog/LAC/

I downloaded all the charts and reduced them to 50% and bundled them into a pdf.

The charts are free to download. They are in jp2 format (jpeg 2000). Irfanview can't open them without a plugin, but Gimp, Photoshop etcetera can.
I converted one of the maps to .jpg so that you can have a look. Try it at full size.
078-Theophilus.thumb.jpg.553325a173932d58d1e2173b48baabb5.jpg

• Like 2

I've got the Times Atlas of the Moon and The 21st Century Atlas of the Moon, plus laminated copies of each of the lunar charts above. Also, Atlas of the Moon by Antonin Rukl (currently out of print and rediculously priced on the second hand market). There is however a smaller version of Rukl's Moon map in the book Moon Mars and Venus, which can be bought quite cheaply second hand on Amazon for just a few pounds. It's a handy pocket sized atlas!

20190330_224002.thumb.jpg.ffa0a1b8bc10e829ec881d8cb6373a63.jpg14706653_2019-03-3022_43_22.thumb.jpg.54f3d7ffe65a3e764b3618aacabc7d6d.jpg

20190331_085900.thumb.jpg.b825f4a074ec361a2deb1bd3b3f30ef6.jpg20190330_223541.thumb.jpg.b03919f12b4f126de61b1438dfbed31f.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

... Atlas of the Moon by Antonin Rukl (currently out of print and rediculously priced on the second hand market) ....

Ha! I have that too, but checked on google and  saw the price, so decided not to mention it. It's very good, but not hundreds to a thousand dollars good!

• Like 2

Theres also the Sky & Telescope laminated Moon Map that can be bought in standard format or mirror reversed (diagonal view) for use in the field. Its pretty handy and not expensive!

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

Thanks all, I think I'll get the 21st Century... and the laminated field map to get me started. It looks like there's another Sky and Telescope map, "Sky And Telescope's Moon Map", rather than "Sky and Telescope's Field Map of the Moon" pictured above, but from the dimensions I figure that's probably a single square map folded in half rather than four big quadrants.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2019 at 20:48, Nyctimene said:

"21st Century Atlas of the Moon" by Charles A. Wood and Maurice J. S. Collins; West Virginia University Press 26506. Spiral bound, opens flat. Contains a wealth of information and excellent photographies, including e.g. the limb regions and all the Lunar 100 objects. Very recommendable!

Stephan

+1 very easy to use and a good read.

• 1 year later...

Great thanks, have to look for commercial poster printers.
I’ve been fiddling with LTVT scripting lately, constant low angle illumination,’ arbitrary libration and animations.... 

Peter

I recently found out that Google Earth (the program) has some magnificent maps of the Moon and Mars. Use View-->explore to find them.

There are several ways to view the Moon. This historic map is may favourite. To the left you see the settings that will show it:

capture_001_01072020_023421.thumb.png.3292cd41200f2715131e69cb479364ab.png