SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote Setup

I am just starting astro with a view to doing DS imaging. I want to setup a WIFi or Wired Remote system and wondered what the best options are. I have looked at the Eagle 2, Hitec Astro Mount Hub 4 and Mini PC among others . I would like to use a mains supply and cut the cable clutter. I don't have an observatory so all the kit would be outside and I was wondering in particular about dew on the mini pc as some makes have a well vented case. My present setup is SW ED80 with Canon 80D attached +.85 reducer, SW Evo 50 with Atik Camera for guiding. 2 HitecAstro dew bands. SW AZEQ5 mount.  I also intend to get an Auofocuser I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks in advance

I've had this set up running for about a year now. Its outside permanemtly and covered with a TeleGizmos 365  with a small heated pet blanket inside to keep the moisture out. The Mini PC on top is running 24/7 just to add a little more warmth inside, and I've not had any problems whatsoever.

IMG_0649.JPG

For wired remote within 100 yards, have a look at Silex DS600: https://www.silextechnology.com/connectivity-solutions/device-connectivity/ds-600
Far more secure and better connection then any wifi system. On top of that a lot cheaper.
Personally using it for years without issues.

The Telegizmo covers as above are more then excellent for weather protection
For moist issue protection NanoProtech Electric works miracles: http://www.nanoroad.co.uk/auto-coatings/4-nano-protech-electric.html

I use a mini pc housed in a waterproof garden power box. It comfortably fits an intel NUC and a 4 way power strip. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-weatherproof-box-kit/46169 

Luckily it's in range of my home wifi and I can connect to the box via team viewer or a remote desktop connection. I've found that having the PC near to the scope is much more reliable that trying to extend USB over a greater distance using active repeater cables, or powered hubs, although I've not tried a USB over ethernet solution like the one above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prolifics said:

I heard good things about the Asiair but will it work on a PC ratehr than tablet or phone?

ASIAIR is a good option, but you will need a tablet. There's no dedicated app available for Windows. There's also no Polar alignment routine, so you'll need to either align manually or use a PC and run sharpcap to get setup. I'm experimenting with an ASIAIR for my portable camping setup but I still use sharpcap to get aligned and in focus before I let the ASIAIR take over. If you do get one, make you get a tablet with built in GPS, it makes setup a lot easier. 

Thanks Jimothy for the good advice. I have been using Sharpcap for my Polar Align as I got a free license with my Altair Guide Cam. Maybe you could use teamviewer off of your pc to the tablet so that you can control the app via pc?

I connect camera, focuser and scope to an Intel i5 NUC with Iris Plus Graphics situated at the scope. This runs camera, auto-focuser and scope control software.

That scope-side computer is then controlled from a second Intel NUC with Iris Plus Graphics located indoors using Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop. However, I have disabled RemoteFX Compression in Windows Remote Desktop via Group Profiles which permits the necessary Screen Data to flow unrestricted over my 802.11ac wireless network. I tried a myriad of alternative solutions, but RDP or TeamViewer or others may choke on 4K UHD screen data unless you resolve this. 

Prior to this I tried a myriad of solutions but this is the only one I have found that permits end to end 4K UHD resolution over wireless. You obviously don't need this if adopting a lesser 1080p HD camera, but if you have a 16 megapixel resolution CMOS camera (such as Atik Horizon or ZWO ASI1600) you may struggle with any lesser computing and graphics power (unless you view in mere 1080p  HD and image in higher UHD). 

Large sensor high resolution sensors are now dropping in price, so future proofing may be desirable. The cheapest 4k UHD laptop is circa £1,800.  But this route you can get 2x NUC with the superior graphics and Optane Memory plus a 4k UHD monitor for around £1,100. The equivant i5 2.6Ghz Eagle 3 Pro cost £1,994 without laptop or display. ASIAIR is perhaps cheaper, but I suspect it is not as flexible as regards scope and focuser control where a Windows PC is arguably best.  DIY is much cheaper. 

Edited by noah4x4
  • Like 1