Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Hello all!

I just picked up a Skywatcher Evostar 80mm Doublett and LX70 (EQ5) mount. This is my first refractor and EQ mount so it took me a while to put it together (if you all notice anything out of place please tell me!). I still enjoy my 8” dob but wanted to learn. This type of scope. It had good reviews for general viewing, but I'm not sure what to expect. 

The EQ mount took quite some time to figure out and one of my questions is do I operate the scope with the counterweight horizontal to the ground? I noticed that in that position I can use the control cables to move up and down and left and right. Any advice is appreciated!

E0CE13FF-A904-448B-99DF-8E4D5FE010C6.jpeg

3C2D62A4-AAAB-4280-8E60-9796B856DA3C.jpeg

• Like 3

Congrats on your new telescope. As it happens, I just recieved my exact same one from FLO the day before yesterday :) . (But different mount)

I'm probably not the right person to ask what to expect, since it's also pretty new to me. But compared to my Mak 127mm it's a huge step up on the astrophotography scene (once those pesky clouds clear off).

I can see no flaw in your setup of the mount. But once again, I defer to more experienced users.

As to your question regarding the positioning of the counterweights, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Your photograph suggests that you are ready to go from that position. Basically you should be able to operate the wormgears wherever you point your scope at the sky. If you find yourself having to reach 'in front' of the telescope to operate the gear, just change it to the front fitting. The axle of the gear goes right through the mount to the others side and is easily interchangable for exactly that reason. Whichever is more convenient at the position you're in.

One suggestion, if you haven't allready done so, is to balance the scope and counterweight as best you can. I'm sure you have. I just wanted to mention it, since with a Dob it has probably not been an issue you've had to deal with before. Also, I wanted to give the impression that I know what the hell I am talking about ?.

I wish you clear skies and lots of great views with your new telescope.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

Congrats on your new telescope. As it happens, I just recieved my exact same one from FLO the day before yesterday :) . (But different mount)

I'm probably not the right person to ask what to expect, since it's also pretty new to me. But compared to my Mak 127mm it's a huge step up on the astrophotography scene (once those pesky clouds clear off).

I can see no flaw in your setup of the mount. But once again, I defer to more experienced users.

As to your question regarding the positioning of the counterweights, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Your photograph suggests that you are ready to go from that position. Basically you should be able to operate the wormgears wherever you point your scope at the sky. If you find yourself having to reach 'in front' of the telescope to operate the gear, just change it to the front fitting. The axle of the gear goes right through the mount to the others side and is easily interchangable for exactly that reason. Whichever is more convenient at the position you're in.

One suggestion, if you haven't allready done so, is to balance the scope and counterweight as best you can. I'm sure you have. I just wanted to mention it, since with a Dob it has probably not been an issue you've had to deal with before. Also, I wanted to give the impression that I know what the hell I am talking about ?.

I wish you clear skies and lots of great views with your new telescope.

Thank you George! I'm really excited to try it out! I guess I am used to the dob moving up/down and left/right and doing that with the EQ mount seems very different. I'm going to take it out in daylight just to get used to the controls.?

Posted (edited)

That will make a great lunar/planetary grab and go scope, refractors are known for their beautiful contrast and ability to push magnification under decent skies. That mount looks an awful lot like my ancient Vixen GP, almost as though its a GP rebranded. Llooks like a solid little EQ mount, nice combo, have fun with that and clear skies!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

Hi Greg, congratulations on your new set up.
When setting up do a rough polar align. Point the mount north (there is usually one leg marked "N") and set the latitude scale to your location. This won't be super accurate but is near enough for visual use. Now when you have a target in view it is only necessary to move the RA to track, you will find you will need a slight adjustment in declination as your polar alignment is only approximate.
One helpful tip, when you have balanced your scope mark the balance points, I use a small piece of low tack tape. This way there is no need to balance every time you set up.
Lastly enjoy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Greg6498 said:

Hello all!

The amount of posts on your refrigerator may just beat out SGL lol.

• Haha 1

The equatorial mount will allow you track any object, and manually with the RA slow-motion control knob.  If you ever want to cause an object to stand still there in the eyepiece, as if time itself had stopped, you can motorise the mount.

That refractor is a keeper; and one that you'll never grow tired of, especially as it can easily travel with you, short or long distances, but you'd probably want an alt-azimuth, a travelling mount, for those times.

Congratulations., and enjoy.

• Like 1