Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

bendiddley

Rosette Nebular 1st time

Well the rig is set up in the garden once again, imaging M101 tonight. Whilst thats going on I thought I'd share with you my last image of the rosette nebula that I took a few weeks ago. Its my first time on the rosette and also the first time I am using a modified DSLR. I had lots of problems with processing this initially, DSS was giving me problems as was my photoshop skills (or lack of), however Carole (not sure her surname) very kindly came to help when I posted my woes the other day and taught me a thing or two about photoshop as well as kick-starting me into problem solving my DSS. Anyway to cut a long story short I got it all sorted and this is the end result. It's made up of 19 x 5 min lights and 25 darks/bias/flats, ISO 800 using a Canon 1100D and a Skywatcher 130PDS. I have to say I am rather chuffed with this. I have always struggled with weak, colourless images and this is the first time I have produced something with this much colour in it, so glad for Caroles help. Can't wait to get my hands on M101 when that's finished.

Rosette 8 v2.jpg

• Like 6

Wow - that's a great image - your chuffedness is entirely deserved! Is that a cropped image or are you using the full frame? Those are really nice star shapes - that's a pretty large sensor and even so, the stars a nice and round across a really wide field. Nice!

Posted (edited)

Hi Ben,

You should share the solution to your DSS problems in case any-one else has the same problem.  It was certainly a very bizarre one, and we only got a clue to where there things were going wrong when you successfully processed my stack of your data, yet your own stack was not producing the same stack even with the same settings. 

Much better image now, maybe also a link to your original thread would be interesting too.

Fingers crossed for M101, though this galaxy doesn't have a lot of colour.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NigeB said:

Wow - that's a great image - your chuffedness is entirely deserved! Is that a cropped image or are you using the full frame? Those are really nice star shapes - that's a pretty large sensor and even so, the stars a nice and round across a really wide field. Nice!

Cheers! Yes using the full frame, not cropped.

10 minutes ago, carastro said:

Hi Ben,

You should share the solution to your DSS problems in case any-one else has the same problem. It was certainly a very bizarre one, and we only got a clue to where there things were going wrong when you successfully processed my stack of your data, yet your own stack was not producing the same stack even with the same settings.

Much better image now, maybe also a link to your original thread would be interesting too.

Fingers crossed for M101, though this galaxy doesn't have a lot of colour.

Carole

Hi Carole. I shared it on the thread, did you not see it? Do you mean I should create a new post about my findings with DSS?

If anyone is interested, here's a link to the post I started the other week when I was seeking help with this image...

• Like 1

Do you mean I should create a new post about my findings with DSS?

No not a new thread, just an explanation.

Didn't see the previous link. 

Carole