Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

star diagonal upgrade 127 slt

hi gents

when we buy new cheap scopes we usually get a cheap 10mm and 25mm eyepieces with it.. i always knew this to be very true.

however it never occurred to me that the celestron 127slt diagonal will more than likely be poop to????

what SD can i upgrade to from the original celestron diagonal. or is the SD that i got with the scope decent? im sure theres alot better out there for me to get my hands on .

thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

steve....

The stock diagonal is usable but very poor quality construction. Most just upgrade to a dielectric diagonal which better optically and usually has a brass compression fitting for the eyepice. Good idea to upgrade the standard visual back on the scope to a compression type one too but not strictly necessary. 

One like this or WO or Revelation or other decent brand. one. Often come up for sale in the sale section or Astrobuysell.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/SWdiagonal-20967.html

Edited by johninderby

hi john,thankyou for the feedback

yes i saw the skywatcher dieletric,i also looked at the WO DURA BRIGHT 1.25" DIELECTRIC DIAGANOL.now im going to ask you which one you would choose out of the two and why.? the  WO sd is £92 which is acceptable and i think the SW model is £69

6 minutes ago, prusling said:

I chose a different approach: a flip mirror - similar to a diagonal with an eyepiece in the upper section using the mirror, plus the option of a camera in the straight-through position.

hi and thanks for your input. im mainly wanting it for planetary imaging coupled with my zwo ,would that help ?

Edited by stevie1980

That's what I use it for - though very rarely as I tend to concentrate on DSO imaging.  You can position the scope using the eyepiece and then just flip the mirror out of the way for the camera.  You need to ensure that both are in focus at the same time - I have added a (non-rotating) secondary helical focuser on the upper eyepiece section to aid this.

great ill take a look,thankyou. i did well with my last scope ,just a classic SW skyliner dob push to and the zwo... it took much tear and sweat to get a clip of jupiter , but my profile pic proves it can be done with a push to, many people told me it wasnt easy,they was right.now i have my mak in theory it should be alot easier, im after the best possible contrast for jupiter,thats why im upgrading my SD

I upgraded the diagonal of my 127mm Mak from the stock one to a quality Circle T prism diagonal.  No doubt better quality, but I can't swear that I could see any difference when looking through the eyepiece.

28 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

im after the best possible contrast for jupiter,thats why im upgrading my SD

In digital imaging, you can restore some contrast in the post-processing.  SCTs and Maks suffer some loss of contrast from the central obstruction, but that does not hinder people like Damian Peach and Astroavani taking stunning images with a SCT.

• Like 1