Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Hey guys,im currently on a school trip and brought my celestron firstscope with, tonight we ll  be trying some dsos and maybe saturn and jupiter,the telescope itself is not collimated and dirty (on the mirrors)So I wanted to ask.in the scope, there is no primary adjustment screws,only the ones to take it off .Does that mean that its set , allowing me to take it off wash it and back on without having to recollimate the primary?

Thanks

Kronos

How dirty is dirty, if it's dust it may not effect viewing.

• Like 1

Optical surfaces have to be very dirty to need cleaning. The view is unlikely to be better if you clean.

If optical parts are removed you will need to recollimate after everything is assembled.

Moral -   “if it aint broke don’t fix it” ?

Ed.

Thanks guys,there is a big spot of black dirt(idk what it is)take a look.Not only that,but its quite dusty ,all tho it may not seem like it

15538814145253434629464441571680.jpg

Hello Kronos, 

this is a bit late as a reply for your trip. 

Use a rocket bulb blower to get the dust off of the mirror, the only time you definitely need to look at cleaning is if something organic like tree sap, bugs and such are on it. 

The old adage for cleaning mirrors is if you are unsure if it needs cleaning is to wait a year, then decide :)

A very soft camel hair brush (woman’s makeup brush) can also be used to get rid of some dust on the mirror or along the edge of eyepiece lenses. (Gently of course)

When not in use keep caps in place, shower caps work well on newts to keep dust and insects out of the tube. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys! Its been 8 months since i ve started the hobby of astronomy.I would like to dig deeper now,i am looking for a book in astrophysics that involves mostly formulas and mathematics.With so many books in the market its hard to defferentiate science books from just books with information about the subject 
      Thanks!
      -Kronos
    • By GavinC
      Hello,
      Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about whether it's possible to mount alternative OTAs with a dovetail or rings to the mount that comes with a Celestron Nexstar 80GT?  In particular I am wondering about attaching a SW Heritage 130P?  I know that Celestron did a 130mm reflecting 'scope on his mount, but it looks to also have that plastic tube clamp, seen on the 80mm image below.
      Thanks,
      Gavin

• By MarsG76
      Hi All,
      If anyone is looking for a great telescope, I'm selling my NexStar 8SE. It's in great condition, Optics are immaculate and there is only some signs of use on the dovetail bar and the black rim that has faded a bit on one side. The reason that I'm selling is that I'm looking to upgrade.
      I had some amazing views of planets and DSO through this scope.... it really is a performer in quite a compact package.
      This scope was on a CGEM most of it life so the NexStar Alt-Az mount was hardly used.
      I prefer to have this scope local pickup or I'm happy to deliver and even give a tutorial and demonstration of how to use it.. for that reason I'm targeting a buyer around Sydney Australia.
      The price I'm asking is $1650AUD.

Clear Skies.

• By Matty_C
      Hello all,
      I have just joined and have been looking around, and putting in various searches to find the answer to my question(s).
      I have already found some valuable information, but i can't find a specific answer to a question i have relating to exposure times.
      I have shot the milky way several times before, from a tripod and a wide angle lens. I am aware of and understand the "500 rule" and that worked fine for me at first when i was shooting with my Canon 6D Mark II. When i moved over to the Sony A7III i noticed significant trailing using the same rule and that led me to the NPF rule (Via the photopills app incase people dot know).
      I am heading back to Tenerife once again in about 6 weeks time and want to buy a star tracker so i can get some really detailed images.
      I have done a fair bit of research and in principle, the whole thing doesn't seem to be too daunting or difficult.
      I have purchased the Polar Scope Align Pro app so i can align Polaris as accurately as possible, i will practise putting the unit together and familiarising myself with the different parts etc, but it is the exposure times that i do not understand.
      My best glass is the Carl Ziess 50mm F/1.4 Planar, the 18mm F/2.8 Batis, the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art & the IRIX 15mm F/2.4 Blackstone.
      I currently do not own, nor have i ever used a tracker, and I cannot find any information relating to which aperture, ISO and Shutter length any of these focal lengths should or could be shot at.
      Is there anything similar to the 500 rule or NPF rule that relates to using a tracker with varied focal lengths? or is it just a case of stepping the lens down for sharpness and then trial and error?
      Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• By NenoVento
      Hi all,

After updating my legacy HC to the 99.22 (I had to, because of the GPS rollover issue) and the MC to the 5.23 firmwares (siply because it was there, and I've got greedy), both acquired via Teamcelestron, my CPC was operating normally until, all of the sudden, its altitude motor stopped working. I've uploaded a video at youtube showing what happens:

https://youtu.be/p2cHJkPt9Vc

As you can see, I don't get any error message in my HC but, if I try to move the scope in altitude, nothing happens (no movement, no motor noises, nothing). When I release the clutch and move the scope manually in altitude, it does move but has a weird noise by the same place where previously it used to make a snap one, which I already reported to celestron tech support once, and even made a video that I also uploaded to youtube:

https://youtu.be/KCc69eUSbeY

I've already seeked help from Celestron Tech support (and the folks at Cloudy Nights) but any help from you would be very much appreciated. Best regards,

NV

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.