Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hey guys,im currently on a school trip and brought my celestron firstscope with, tonight we ll  be trying some dsos and maybe saturn and jupiter,the telescope itself is not collimated and dirty (on the mirrors)So I wanted to ask.in the scope, there is no primary adjustment screws,only the ones to take it off .Does that mean that its set , allowing me to take it off wash it and back on without having to recollimate the primary?

Thanks

Kronos

Optical surfaces have to be very dirty to need cleaning. The view is unlikely to be better if you clean.

If optical parts are removed you will need to recollimate after everything is assembled.

Moral -   “if it aint broke don’t fix it” ?

Ed.

Thanks guys,there is a big spot of black dirt(idk what it is)take a look.Not only that,but its quite dusty ,all tho it may not seem like it

15538814145253434629464441571680.jpg

Hello Kronos, 

this is a bit late as a reply for your trip. 

Use a rocket bulb blower to get the dust off of the mirror, the only time you definitely need to look at cleaning is if something organic like tree sap, bugs and such are on it. 

The old adage for cleaning mirrors is if you are unsure if it needs cleaning is to wait a year, then decide :)

A very soft camel hair brush (woman’s makeup brush) can also be used to get rid of some dust on the mirror or along the edge of eyepiece lenses. (Gently of course)

When not in use keep caps in place, shower caps work well on newts to keep dust and insects out of the tube. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dodger3k
      Hi all, looking for some help please! 🙏 I have a wedge for my 8SE and when using EQ North to align it, it says it is slewing to Vega but ends up all the way over at Polaris!?  Any ideas? 🤞🏻 Thanks in advance! 😊

I have updated the firmware, Mount is pointing at north, have inputted my latitude and longitude, I have tried picking the nearest city too and nothing seems to work! 😟
    • By willcastle
      Has anyone used the celestron lithium powertank (the small one, not the pro version) with a skywatcher HEQ5?
      It looks like it should be perfect but that is coming from someone who is relatively clueless
      From the skywatcher specs, it looks like the mount needs 2 amps of current, and the powertank supplies 3, so that should be good?
      It also looks like the power cable is a double-ended tip-positive 2.1 mm plug, so i assume that even though it doesn't have one of those 12V car battery inputs, it shouldn't matter right?
      (just to save people some time, i'm not going to bother with a lead battery / leisure battery / jump-start pack / etc)
    • By stevebb
      Celestron C8 XLT + extras and SkyWatcher Star Travel 80 (ST80)
      I have a Celestron C8 with XLT Starbrite coatings. Will include the full length base plate, both visual and imaging backs, scope rings, front 8" end cap and the finder scope with it. No box I'm afraid. Optics are good and clean, focal length is huge - 2300mm from memory. This lot would cost close to £1300 new and one with less spec went for £750 on fleabay recently. Might be interested in a part exchange or will let it go for £450 collection only.
      Also, I have a SkyWatcher Star Traveler 80 - good optics, used as a guide scope - just the scope itself (does not include the barlow in the photo) - now including dovetail bar and scope rings looking at around £50 for it.
      I have decided to save up for another refractor, WO, Equinox or even toward an Esprit. However, I would also consider p/ex for an Intel NUC and/or Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox.
      Please excuse some of the colours - I used my astro modded 6D which was in the observatory so the "nice" purple is actually black !!
      Both these are collection only.

• By Kronos831
      Hi there! I’m looking forward towards purchasing a new wide FOV eyepiece from FLO (first light Optics ) and I do to know which one to pick!
      i will be using it on my f/6 8” Skywatcher dob and hoping to get good views of the Orion’s nebula , (large nebulae in general) andromeda and others.
      I ve heard the panaview 32mm is a good choice but I d like to know about the other options as well. I would like the budget to be around 100€
      Clear skies, Kronos.
    • By Clear Skies!
      I have Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq. I know how to attach the motor driver, too. I want to dive into astrophotography. But I don't know:
      How can I accurate polar align my telescope, if it doesn't have any polar scope? I think drift polar-alignment is very hard. Is there any other way? How fast must be the motor driver's speed if I don't have polar-aligned telescope yet? I am buying my new Orion StarShoot G4 Monochrome Deep Space Imaging Camera. Is it good that I attach Orion camera on Celestron telescope? I want to buy ZWO 1.25" LRGB Imaging Filter Set. Is it good to attach ZWO on Orion and Celestron? Is it a good choice to select these machines? And finally: is Celestron AstroMaster 130 eq telescope good enough for astro imaging? (I want to image DSO objects.) Thank you for your effort and time.
      Clear skies!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.