Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Firstscope collimation

Hey guys,im currently on a school trip and brought my celestron firstscope with, tonight we ll  be trying some dsos and maybe saturn and jupiter,the telescope itself is not collimated and dirty (on the mirrors)So I wanted to ask.in the scope, there is no primary adjustment screws,only the ones to take it off .Does that mean that its set , allowing me to take it off wash it and back on without having to recollimate the primary?

Thanks

Kronos

Optical surfaces have to be very dirty to need cleaning. The view is unlikely to be better if you clean.

If optical parts are removed you will need to recollimate after everything is assembled.

Moral -   “if it aint broke don’t fix it” ?

Ed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Kronos, 

this is a bit late as a reply for your trip. 

Use a rocket bulb blower to get the dust off of the mirror, the only time you definitely need to look at cleaning is if something organic like tree sap, bugs and such are on it. 

The old adage for cleaning mirrors is if you are unsure if it needs cleaning is to wait a year, then decide :)

A very soft camel hair brush (woman’s makeup brush) can also be used to get rid of some dust on the mirror or along the edge of eyepiece lenses. (Gently of course)

When not in use keep caps in place, shower caps work well on newts to keep dust and insects out of the tube.