Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
pbyrne

Herschel 400

Posted (edited)

At the turn of the year I set myself the challenge of bagging the Herschel 400.  

The winter constellations are filled with open clusters, my favourite deep-sky objects to observe, nebulae and the odd planetary and I made a good start, ticking off 50 objects from the list.  Now I am moving into galaxy country, and I have to be honest here, galaxies are my least favourite objects to observe.  With the odd exception, galaxies are ellipticals and show nothing more than an amorphous blob.  However, the majority of objects, 231 of them,  which make up the Herschel 400 list, are galaxies.  So, it's a matter of getting on with it until the summer arrives the clusters, globulars and nebulae come back.

I have set myself a time scale of summer 2021 to finish, knowing the great weather we have in this part of the world.

Wish me luck.

Edited by pbyrne
  • Like 7

Good luck with that.

Fuzzies are just fuzzies,

until you get out into proper dark skies. Galaxies open up with spiral arms (M33) , dust lanes (NGC 891) and wonderful shapes ("whale galaxy " and M51). You can also resolve some (NGC 4449 ). There's still do much to be enjoyed and you'll be treading in Herschel's footsteps,

Nick.

• Like 2

Why do the galaxies?

Observing time is limited enough without filling it with unfulfilling observing? Unless you are in it for the thrill of hunting down new things and stretching you scope / observing skills? That is the only reason that I would look at doubles (except the nice coloured ones of course).

Paul 

Dark skies might just change your mind!...happy hunting 

We all enjoy different things! I never look at open clusters :grin:.  Good luck, but do whatever gives you joy, no point wasting time on stuff that truth be told doesn't excite you.

...goes for so much in life!!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I want to give the entire list my best shot.  Even if galaxies are not my favourites, I will get around to observing them and there is that sense of achievement when spotted.

• Like 1